Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My oldest child has severe mood swings and falls apart when away from me for to long?

I am really confused on what and how to deal with my oldest child. He is going to be 13 in June and for as long as I remember he has always been an overly sensitive child. He has always had severe mood swings. One minute he is happy but the next you just don't know. He was diagnosed with ADHD, and depression from PTSD. He has a hard time going outside and playing with the other children in the neighborhood, crowds aren't a good thing either. The other day he got so angry about something that he started swearing and throwing chairs. I am not sure what to do, should I ground him, take things away or just explain that what he did was wrong and not expectable. He father doesn't want him to do anything at all. I am not sure what to do? any advice will be great.

Answer Question

Asked by vmdavis at 7:32 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Kids' Health

Level 2 (5 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • I would talk to his doctor and see about possible bi-polar or something. The sudden change in mood might fit that.

    Answer by laird6372 at 7:35 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

  • I am so scared to do that. I few of my friends have said the same. I said something to his medication doctor and she is convinced that it isn't that. But I know my child and there is something else going on there. I am going to bring it up again to the doctor. Thank you.

    Comment by vmdavis (original poster) at 7:37 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

  • It sounds like he has something else going on. My oldest son was diagnosed with ADHD for years and later with ODD and CD. As it turned out it was a misdiagnoses and the medication they gave us was making him violent. He actually had Bipolar disorder. My other son is high functioning Autistic and can also display violent times like throwing chairs. Many times parents and pediatricians jump right to adhd and it isnt that at all. I would have him see a child therapist and see if maybe they cannot come up with something else and have them work with your pediatrician.

    Answer by gemgem at 7:39 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

  • I agree talking with the doctor would be a good thing. Also, is he on medication for the ADHD or the depression because sometimes these medication can cause mood swings.  I think you really have to look at what he is doing before you punish him.  My DD got very sick this past summer and when she first came home she got away with a lot because we were very scared.  As time went on we had to start punishing her because she was taking to the next level and it wasn't fair that her brothers were always getting in trouble and she wasn't.

    I would also look into counseling for him.  He may need someone to talk to about everything, someone other than you.  We did this for my middle child and it really helped him,

    Good Luck!


    Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:41 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

  • He has an appointment today with a child therapist, I will bring it up to him also. You guys have been great help and thank you very much. Bi-polar and Autistic is what we are leaning toward. They just both see to fit. Again thank you very much.

    Comment by vmdavis (original poster) at 7:42 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.