What are my chances of custody being restored to me

My son's dad has temporary custody right now. I became addicted to drugs and didn't always follow through with life. At this point in my life I am doing all the right things. I was mandated to complete a program show up for all my appointments and be emotionally regulated. I have been consistent for about 3 months and will return to court in Jan 2009. What are my chances of regaining custody. Just to let you guys know his father has been in prison is also an addict but has been sober about 3 years now and has a terrible cory.

help

Teresa

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When you go to court in January, then you can show the judge - hey, not only did I do what you asked of me, but I also took the initiative to make myself better for my children's sake. I took charge of my health, I got responsible and did this this and this. That is what the judge is going to be looking for. With children involved it's not just about doing the next right thing. It's about doing ALL the right things. Take it one day at a time....sometimes you'll have to take it one hour at a time or one minute at a time. It's hard, but the final reward is oh, so worth it! Good luck to you!

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• This is a tough one. One of the problems with temporary custody of a young child is a precident has been set. Dispite the dad's past, he's still got 3 years sober and you only have three months. If Dad fights you getting custody, you'll have to really prove you are ready. On the other side of the coin one of the things that is in your favor is you are the mother and you did follow the court's order to get your act together.

It might not be as simple as you regaining custody. They may increase your visitation to see how it goes and have you return to court. This process might go on for a while until you prove that you can stay on track.

I hope you have a good attorney to help you. Please, no matter what happens, stay clean and keep your act together because your child needs his mother.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 9:31 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Teresa~ I am glad that you are working hard to clean up your life. Keep up the hard work and make sure that you do everything you can - no matter how hard to get all your "poop in a group". You need to focus on you right now. Do all the things that you have to do and then do all the things you know you need to do or should do to better yourself as a person, woman and mother.

Babylove76

• thank you sooooooooo much for your support it means soooooo much too me that I am in tears!!
    tparibello

Answer by tparibello at 9:45 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Teresa~

You are welcome, hun. Make sure you surround yourself with good influences. When you are tempted to turn back to the old ways, call someone or go for a walk. Feel free to PM me anytime....I am on here a lot and I will listen and help you anyway I can. Stay strong!! You can do it!

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:48 PM on Nov. 28, 2008