Nuk gone, not sleeping well! HELP!!

We took out 21month olds nuk away cold turkey a couple days ago because he had a sore on his chin that just kept getting worse because of where the nuk was being sucked in on his face. He used to be a great sleeper, and he's totally awful now! He only cried for 10-15 minutes at night when he goes down, but in the morning he is a beast and grumpy. The 2-hour naps don't exsist anymore! Do you think this is just him getting used to sleep w/o nuks or am I creating a new routine?! Help with advice please!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No dont give it back. It takes 72 hours to break a habit. I know LOL. My oldest son had a problem with it as well and was around 2. We took it away and I thought I would DIE from the screaming, lack of sleep and carrying on. Our pediatrician said give it 72 hours, and use other things to pacify. I did and yeah after 3-4 days he was fine.

Answer by gemgem at 7:53 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Just keep at it. We had the same trouble with a sore from the soother so we needed to take it away all at once. It took a week in total but my daughter adjusted and we've never looked back.

Good luck! I know it's a really difficult transition.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 7:56 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• It'll be OK. My almost 6 year old just broke himself of sucking his thumb to sleep (He had a sore on this thumb from it, and couldn't any more). He has always sucked his thumb- even in utero... It took him a couple weeks to adjust, and he re-adopted an old friend (a stuffed animal) and his favorite blanket. Give it time, just give it time.
    Make sure you offer other things to help soothe :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:01 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• So you think that he will get back into actually sleeping well after he realizes it's gone for good? ... thanks for the consoling and encouraging ladies!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:01 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Yes he will. He is going to get exhausted. Obby gives a good suggestion, try giving him something else like a favorite stuffed animal or blanket. He will just transfer the soothing he got from the nuk to that.

Answer by gemgem at 8:03 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• He'll get through it. My daughter gave it up around 2 and half years old and it took approximately 2 weeks before she could sleep through the night without waking up and crying for her "binky". It got a little bit better every day or two until she finally stopped waking up altogether.
    Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:29 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• He will adjust, but it takes time. Hang in there!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:38 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• He will adjust, just takes time. Hang in there momma!
    H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 4:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2011