Am I wrong? (about babysitting)

I babysit my nephew at least 54 hours a week and it can go up to 60 hours in one week. My sister pays me $75 a week. Today she can get off work at 12 but, she wants to work over even though I need her to be here @ 12:30 to get her son because this is the first time in almost a year my husband is getting off early and we are having lunch with our kindergarten (can have lunch with the older kids anytime.) Now, my sister is mad because she says I should act like his aunt a watch him when she tells me to. I don't want to take him with me because he is a pain in the butt, doesn't listen and screams non-stop and I want to enjoy some peace away from him. I told her if she doesn't like it to put him in daycare because I am not dealing with her bullcrap. She works an erratic schedule so, daycare is going to be 550-700 a month for him. I personally think she is getting a good deal and can at least give me this time away. What do you think?

matthewscandi

Asked by matthewscandi at 8:02 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• More details: Kaleb is 3 and not potty trained
    matthewscandi

Comment by matthewscandi (original poster) at 8:04 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Your sister is very selfish!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 8:04 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Personally I feel like she is being rude, ungrateful, and taking advantage of you.  Taking care of a child for that many hours and all your doing is asking for a few moments of peace?  Yes, I would have told her to put him in daycare then also.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:05 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I don't think you are wrong at all. She should be paying you more though. I watch my niece for 35-40 hours a week and my sister pays me $130 weekly. I understand that she is family and the point of you watching him is to not pay daycare prices, but I truly believe $75 weekly is way too low. I think you are getting the short end of the stick.

I would check out daycare prices in her area and show them to her. Maybe if she sees that she's saving a good $100- $120 weekly, she will be more respectful of how much you do for her already. Best of luck :)
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 8:08 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Tell her she should act like his mother and spend some time with him! She is wrong, wrong, wrong!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 8:08 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• She sounds like she is taking advantage of you. I would call around to headstart programs, he is probably old enough and they go based on income. It is probably time for her to get with the program and understand he needs more then just you on call every moment of the day. You have a life.

Answer by gemgem at 8:13 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Don't let her walk all over you. I also agree with th pp. show her some prices for daycares, I assume what she would have to do without you. Good luck!!
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:13 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I would call around to headstart programs, he is probably old enough and they go based on income.

Income is not the problem, she makes to much for Headstart. She is trying to get him in based on speech but, it is only 3 hours a day. I would have to pick him up everyday and drop him off 3 days a week, which I am not complaining about because it is 3 hours a day without him. I love my nephew so, please don't think I dislike him but, dang I need a break.

matthewscandi

Comment by matthewscandi (original poster) at 8:20 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• She's absolutely taking advantage and being unreasonable. If she doesn't show up, go drop him off at her job. Let her try daycare for a month.....she'll come crawling back with her tail between her legs. That said, if you have him for that much time each week, you should be able to be a positive influence on both his behavior and his potty training, so it's a little unfair to make negative comments about the child.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:25 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• She is taking advantage of you . he is HER kid-not yours.

I would tell her she nees to come get him, because you have plans
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:34 AM on Apr. 1, 2011