Do you "friend" your friend's SO on facebook?

Do you friend your friend's boyfriend, husband or other half on facebook?

I have a friend who lives on the other side of the USA from me, has NEVER met my SO and has friended him.. is that weird or is it normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• Honestly, I only friend my friends' so's IF I feel like I know them well enough. I'm friends with one of my bff's husband, but I was the maid of honor in their wedding, and I've known him since high school. He's also friends with my little sister. But again, he's known her as long as he's known me. Same with another SO that's with my friend. I've known him since H.S., as has my sister, and both of us were constantly threatening to kick his butt when he made our friend mad, so yeah, we're friends on fb. Now if I've never met the SO, I'm not going to actively seek them out and befriend them on facebook. If they send ME a friend request, sure, I'll accept. But I'm not usually one to send out the first invitation. I have one "friend" I'm convinced only friended me because she wanted to know who the strange woman was her bf just added to his friends.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 8:42 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I actually think it's a little strange, ONLY because she doesn't know him and has never met him. Some of my friends DH's are my "friends", because I know them and have socialized with them too. I would NEVER try to add a friend's man that I didn't know.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:16 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Actually, after I typed out my answer, I was remembering that few months ago, my sister was kind of weirded out because this girl she went to high school with added my sister's DH, even though she'd never met him before. My sister thought it was strange and kept wondering why. She's not jealous or anything, she just thought it was odd.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:19 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Probably normal. All my friends husbands or SO's have actually friended me so lol. I have one set I dont know well, and her husband and son both also friended me.

Answer by gemgem at 8:15 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Same here there are people on my husbadns fb that he hasnt met but there are some on mine to....
    shelle21

Answer by shelle21 at 8:19 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Maybe they play games and want more friends
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Ummm....since she's never met him, a little odd. But not really. I mean I've gotten friend requests for friends of friends! LOL! And if they play the same games....gezz. In the world of FB rules are a little fuzzy.

I am friends with my best friend's hubby....but then again, I know him personally :-p
    SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 8:22 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• He doesn't play any games or apps and his profile isn't private.. there are no pics of us together or the kids and we've only dated 6 months. it's not that I am jealous either, it just seems odd to me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:24 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I have all my friend's SOs friended. Although most of them are my friends as well. But I have quite a few FB friends I've never met, many of which are men and have wives.

If she's really a friend of yours, she would want to get to know him, even if she doesn't now.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:29 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• It wouldn't bother me. What I think is funny is that I have a few guy friends - most of them I have met through hubby's band. I have never met any of their wives/girlfriends, but all of them requested to be my friend once they saw I was friends with their husbands/boyfriends. I think it's funny. Most of them I don't mind, but one is really a whiner and a drama queen. I have thought about unfriending her, but I can only imagine the crap that would cause at home for her husband.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:41 AM on Apr. 1, 2011