Does anyone not go to church or do you all?

I havent been to church since middle school because I was made to go every time they had service. Well this preacher stopped by my house telling that if I didnt go to church my child would be doomed whenever they die. Why would a preacher say that if he doesnt know the whole story as to why I dont go? It made me mad that he ssaid that and thats another reason I dont want to go. Also whenever I was baptized and saved he told me that I was really and I needed help. Does anyone have any opinion on this?

shelle21

Asked by shelle21 at 8:14 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I haven't been to church regularly since about 12-13. I've been occasionally since then, usually to keep my mom company or I've gone with friends to visit their churches on occasion too. I don't think I've been to a church (even as a visitor) in over 3 yrs since before my son was born)--besides a couple weddings and a funeral.

I will not follow any path that uses fear tactics to try to indoctrinate. There are Christians out there who are not like that. I do not believe your child is doomed, so don't let him scare you. I believe that all paths are valid, and striving to live our lives in loving-kindness and with compassion for others is what's important. I don't believe it matters whether we go to church or not--my idea of the Divine or 'God' is that it's all of Nature or the Universe--so everything is divine and all around us. You don't have to go to a building to be spiritual or connect with your idea of what is divine IMO
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:45 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• And that is one of the reasons I walked away from Christianity .... moronic, arrogant assholes like that. I know they aren't all like that, but the bad apples discolor the whole bunch.

Your child is not doomed ... he is a moron, an asshole and an idiot who has NO clue. All he is doing is trying to scare you into coming to his screwed up church.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:33 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• People like that are judgemental zealots. I go to church, I take my kids to Sunday School and children's church, they enjoy going. I'd ignore people and comments like that.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:36 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• and.....people like that are why I don't go to church!! I'm not perfect and I'm not going to pretend to be perfect so I'll pray and read the bible at home.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:50 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Way to push someone away that's all I've got. You're child is not doomed, geesh. For him to come and judge like he really knows Gods mind and intent is just plain ludacris. We all depend on God's mercy and can't depend on it. What I mean is we have no way of knowing which ruler he will measure each of us. Kind of like children. There is no way you would punish a 5 yo for something the same way you would a 15yo. Each are at a different level of understanding of what they did. Then there's other factors as to how you punish or reward. nothing in this instance is black and white there are many things to take into account.
    daps

Answer by daps at 8:25 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I don't go to church, but I'm not Christian.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:27 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I don't go to church...
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:29 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• when i was young we attended church a lot i really did not understand why as i got older i was able to make my own choices did I attend church like i did when i was made to go? no. I suppose i always had a connecting with God because i was always drawn to him in different ways. now that i am much older i love going and i recieve so much Spirit wise there is nothing that i enjoy better than hearing the word of GOD.
    Savedmom2011

Answer by Savedmom2011 at 8:58 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I have been there. I grew up in a religious household and i was taught the same thing. That you have to go to church, and you have to pay your tithes or you wont be blessed. And the religion i belonged to said that if i didnt do certain things i wouldnt go to the highest kingdom. There are three kingdoms they claim. So i would go to the last one. Religion deppresses people and it controls you. It makes you feel guilty. I dont need to go to a religion or a church to feel god or to pray. god is everywhere.
    smile123379

Answer by smile123379 at 8:59 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I only go to church when somebody asks me to. For some reason, even though everybody knows I am an atheist...they still want me to go to funerals, baptisms, weddings..blah blah.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:05 AM on Apr. 1, 2011