What to do?

My dog is 15 and is in good health with a few issues... a large growth in his mouth and one on his leg. Due to his age they want to do chemotherapy and not surgery as they don't think he can handle the drugs.
The recovery would be harsh...they might have to remove part of his jaw and he might be on a feeding tube for a few days... if left alone the growth could block his throat.
The one on his leg could go septic and have to heal on it's own if the chemo makes it fall off. Or we can do the invasive surgery and possibly have it go septic and leave him with a limp.
There is nothing to say that they won't grow back other.
Both prices are the same $6,000. Paid in full beforehand of course.
This may sound harsh but...
My questions are: What is the better way to do this? Surgery or chemo? if my dog dies on the table during surgery...do I have to pay? Do they give me a free cremation? What is the point of no return with a pet?
This is the first one I've had that has health problems. The others all died in their sleep of old age....

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 8:33 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Pets

• I hate to say it, at 15 i would just have spike put down :-( poor puppy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Whatever your budget allows. I would not be able nor would I spend that much money on a 15 year old pet. We LOVED our animals, had them for 15 years raised them from 6 week old puppies, and when they got sick we had them put down. We had 15 wonderful happy years, they were well cared for and had a good life. Unless money is no object for you I wouldn't do it. I'm sorry your family pet is facing this illness.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:39 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I am sorry you are going through this. Yes, you pay even if the dog dies during surgery. I agree that you might want to have the dog put out of it's suffering. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:49 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• He doesn't seem to be suffering. He's just as active, happy and playful as he's always been. The only difference is that I have to soften his food a bit.
    While I know this is probably doing stuff that I cannot see from the outside he seems fine...
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 9:02 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Sorry your going through this. But the dog is 15 years old? Thats a few years PAST the life expectancy of most dogs. Considering the dogs age, do you really think it will survive any treatment? Id be skeptical of your vet. Sounds to me like they are trying to get you to pay for several thousands of dollars of probably useless treatment for your pet. I dont mean to be cruel, but cut your losses and put the poor thing down. Why put it through all the treatments? It's on it's last legs of life anyways.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:03 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• It seems odd to have one "old" at a young age. My other two dogs died at 20 years....
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 9:10 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I say if he isn't suffering and is otherwise healthy, just let him be and enjoy him. I'd wait and make a decision later if the lumps start to bother him. I would NOT put him down (atleast not now) as all the other posters have stated!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:31 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• if he seems happy enough- I would let it be.
    If he seems in pain- honestly I'd jsut have him put down at that age...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:56 AM on Apr. 1, 2011