Why do I feel soo gulity

Ok here is the story I just got my layaway out the other day. So my fiance got paid today and its just enought to cover the rent but not food. Soo I had to take some stuff back just to get food for the week. Now I have been crying and depressed because I feel soo guilty for that. What should I have done? I chose to make sure they didnt go without eating. I just dont know how I can feel happy again.

momof5kidz

Asked by momof5kidz at 9:27 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in General Parenting

• You have done the right thing, food is more important. Hang in there.
    sweetsmo

Answer by sweetsmo at 9:31 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• You made the ONLY choice you could have made as a mother. Food always comes before stuff on layaway. You don't have to buy material things to be a good mother. Just buy what you can. Trust me, it won't be long before the toys of today become the garage sale items of tomorrow.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 9:34 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I feel your pain. I only have one thing bought for Christmas and it only cost $5. (phone charger for our house since x wont let him bring his home). I have no idea where we are getting $ for Christmas. But we have food.
    Anonymous

• I agree, you did the right thing for sure. Times are hard on many people. This year for Christmas, we have very little money... so we arent doing many presents at all, and we are happy and content with that because we have family and presents are the most important thing. On the other hand, I only have a 6 month old and she wont know the difference - if you have an older child, its hard for them to understand why their friends are getting more toys than them ... but its fine mama. Just know you did what was right and what was needed for you family ! You're a good mother ! Look on the bright side and feel better - things always seem so much worse when you are depressed!
    Anonymous

• Thanks everyone! I know it was the right thing to do.
    momof5kidz

Answer by momof5kidz at 12:05 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Heck yea you did the right thing! Baby can't eat the XBox, you know :-) I'm glad not everyone is caught up in the "being a good mom is giving them everything they want" school of thought. Trust me you did good by your kids. The toys & video games will still be there at tax return time!
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:41 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• It is impossible to get everything you want. And if you have to choose, you did well. I am not sure where you live, but if you need help with food services, here in Colorado we have Share Colorado. You can get these huge boxes of good grocery items for like $25. You can only do it once a month, but it helps a lot. You may be able to find a similar service in your state. You can use this year to teach your children the value of having your family and loved ones around you!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 8:48 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• You did the right thing....................group hug

4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Most of the time the "right thing" is not something that feels very good. You did what needed to be done! It makes no sense to give a child a toy who has had no meal. Chin up...Christmas is still a few weeks away, maybe you can get one or two things back before then.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2008