Can we trust the claims of the Bible?

Can We Trust the Claims of the Bible?
By Mary May Larmoyeux
Guest Writer

How can I trust the claims of the Bible?

That is a great question! Let me answer it this way ... If you bought a new iPhone, you’d probably sit down at some point and read the instruction manual written by its makers. Likewise, it’s good to understand your instruction manual for life—the Bible.

Humanly speaking, it doesn’t seem possible for the Bible’s 66 different books, written over 1,600 years by more than 30 authors, to all be true, does it? But then again, the Bible isn’t an ordinary book.

2 Timothy 3:16 reminds us, “All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness." The Bible was inspired by the Creator—the One who made you.

Perhaps you’re shaking your head and mumbling, But how do I know that the Bible is true? Well, the same way that you know if the iPhone instruction manual is true—you put your trust in it, follow the directions, and see if what it says works.

A great place to start checking out the claims of the Bible is in the Book of John (it’s in the Bible). You may also want to read More than a Carpenter by Josh McDowell and A Case for Christ: A Journalist’s Personal Investigation of the Evidence of Jesus by Lee Strobel. Like you, both of these men were unsure if the Bible and the words of Jesus Christ could be trusted. What they found is written in their books.

Understanding the truths of the Bible will make a difference in how you view life. The other day I read a bumper sticker that said, “God is my co-pilot; we went to the mountains, and I ate him.” This message does not ring true with what the Bible reveals about God and the mountains.

Romans 1:20 says, “For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—His eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.”

Recently I went on a weekend getaway to the mountains and witnessed some of God’s invisible qualities. I was in awe at the mountaintop beauty as it pointed me to The Designer. As the morning fog lifted one day, I saw a breathtaking panoramic view of creation that revealed a microscopic picture of the power of God.

There’s only one way that you can know if the Bible is true: Check it out. Try reading it for yourself and put into practice what it says. I think you’ll discover an authentic message that can bring sense to your life.

http://www.cbn.com/spirituallife/churchandministry/evangelism/Larmoyeux_Bible_Real.aspx

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Religious Debate

• you're gonna get burned, op. this is a journal entry, not a question. (nice try, though.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:17 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Believing the Bible is the manual for life is kind of like reading Green Eggs and Ham as the manual for that iphone the article talks about, imo. But to each their own. Why anon though? Ashamed of your beliefs?
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 10:14 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• So, the question you are asking is:  Can we trust the claims of the Bible? And you answer the question yourself with a "yes", and then back up your answer with claims from the Bible to "prove" claims of the Bible?  Interesting tactic.  Basically, the argument goes like this:  Can we trust the Bible?  Yes, because the Bible tells us to.  What's that sort of argument called?  Oh, right--circular.  Circular arguments don't work.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 1:01 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Most of the claims in the bible sound ludicrous to me. Sure, there are some true historical accounts- but then so are there in every other collection of myths from every other culture. I have read the bible, studied it and found the 'messages' contained inside were nothing more than stolen, embellished and recycled stories from other, more ancient religions and beliefs- nothing new and most of the time the messages are common sense IMO.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• its kinda hard to prove your point that you can trust the Bible by using Bible verses to show you can trust it.

and i know a LOT of ppl who have never read the Bible (in depth) who put to practice things it says b/c they are common sense practices. you can live a good life without the Bible...a whole lotta ppl do!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:00 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• The catch to this argument is that many others have put OTHER religious texts into practice and have found that they work. As someone who has read the Bible as well as some other holy texts, I can honestly say that there are other 'instruction manuals' that have yielded better results for me, as far as feeling peace/love/unity with the divine.

I'm fine with the idea of the Bible being authentic for people whose path it represents. I would expect that- or else why aren't they seeking a path that resonates? I just don't think individual belief in authenticity constitutes any kind of proof of the validity of what the Bible (or any other text) says. The path works for some people, or it wouldn't have survived this long. Others feel EXACTLY as strongly about their own beliefs.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Eh, the Bible is a bunch of stories. I can't seriously use a storybook as an instruction manual for my life. It's not that I don't think the Bible can't be a great guide, I just don't think I should be constructing my life according to everything in it. Most of what the stories in the Bible teach us, and what Christianity as a whole teaches, is plain and simple common sense. Christian or not, people should lead a good life and be nice to others, blah blah blah. I don't need a book to tell me to do that.

And really... you do know this is Q & A and not your personal journal, right? (just had to say it... couldn't resist)
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Not a very convincing article. It's a shame that modern Christians are really not very deep or contemplative.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 7:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• It doesn't take faith, it takes theology and intense study, just like they way we scrutinize the facts presented and claims made in any other field.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:59 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Umm. Okay....I've read it. Nothing special really.
    H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 3:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2011