Breast feedng / pumping? Please advise.

Ok my DD will be 4 weeks old next Friday and I wanted to start pumping so that her father can start helping me out with feedings and because we are going to be making a trip from NY to FL in a couple more weeks and I want it to be an easy car ride with feedings and such. So my question is when should I pump? Whats the best way to store breast milk? And any other advice you can give me ? Thanks in Advance

MrsStanley22

Asked by MrsStanley22 at 9:40 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I pump after every feeding. If you go to wal mart or target there are breastmilk storage bags that can be frozen. I've been freezing mine for my hubby to give to our 2 week old. On the box of the storage bags it has a timeline for how long you can freeze them.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 9:42 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• They say the best milk and amount is when u pump at night
    Pooky_mommy

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 9:44 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• i have heard the best time to pump is in the morning when u wake up. but i would pump either before a feeding or right after one. also look into breast milk storage containters that you can find at any store. bm that hasnt been refridgerated can only last 8 hours. you can also get cooler packs to make the milk colder and also it makes your milk last longer. good luck
    saraelf

Answer by saraelf at 9:54 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I prefer to pump during a feed. that way the baby will trigger let down for you. just do one side baby and one side pump, then switch sides (this is called tandem pumping). this way you will get a good balance of fore milk and hind milk. if you only pump after a feed, it will be all hindmilk and it won't get and keep baby full like the foremilk will. it's been a long time since I stored milk, I forget all the important stuff on that.
    www.babycenter.com has lots of good info on that tho....
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:55 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• The best time to pump is first thing int he morning. If your little one sleeps for a long stretch at night (even 4 hours), wake up about 1/2 hour or hour before he/she does and pump then. Store it in BM storage bags unless you're going to use it within a few days then you can just store it in the fridge.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:26 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I would let your baby nurse from one side while you pump from the other side. Breastfeeding is about supply and demand, the more you pump or nurse the more you make. That is not the case every time, but it should work for you.
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 10:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I get the impression that you will be giving your DD pumped breastmilk on your trip. Ice packs don't work well on a long trip. Be sure to pack it in ice. Once it is thawed, it must be used within a certain amount of time. (I don't remember the time limit on thawed milk.) One other thing, be sure to give DD a pacifier. This is to get her used to the bottle nipple. I didn't do this and my youngest son refused the bottle. I was frustrated with him but he wouldn't have it any other way. I finally gave up and just let him be. He went from the breast to a sippy cup at 8 months. (A dietician at the children's hospital here in Utah gave me the info about the pacifier.) Good luck and have fun;-)
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 10:58 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I find that the playtex breastmilk storage works the best especially if you use the playtex bottles that have the drop in bags. Each kit comes with 6 containers and 1 attachment that will fit most pumps. You pump right into the bag put the lid on it and store it upside down in the fridge or freezer. when your ready to use it you warm it up an drop it into a bottle. Breastmilk can sit out up to 10 hours if the temp is 72 degrees or less or 24 hrs in an insulated bag with ice packs. It's best to put it in the fridge or freezer asap.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 11:20 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• It's good in the fridge 8 days, but don't store it in the door. It's good in a freezer that has its own door for 3-4 months and in a deep freezer for 6 months. Never use hot water to warm, it destroys some of the things in the milk that help the baby's immunity. Thawed milk can be left in a fridge for 24 hrs before it goes bad. Always smell it if your unsure. You can tell if it's bad. If your baby eats every 4 hrs I'd pump every 2 and you can skip sessions if you feel like your building up a good supply. You want to make sure the baby gets an equal amount of fore and hind milk and like discussed about if you do it right before or right after they will get more of one or the other. If you need more help msg me!
    britni11

• I pumped every 3 hours with a double breast pump ( my daughter would not feed from me). If the milk was going to be drank within 2 days I put it into a bottle without the nipple and sealed the top (Nuk bottles were great) if the milk was not going to be used in two days I would put the milk into milk storgae bags in one bolttle increments and freezed them. Be sure to date and time the storage bags and to only heat up the milk with luke ward water not a bottle warmer or microwave. The bast way to do this is with a cup or small bowl.
    EmmieandMom

Answer by EmmieandMom at 2:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2008