Getting a dog to heel.

I have tried everything and it isn't working I have spoken to trainers and e erything. I had her in classes but didn't want to graduate her because she couldn't heel. I have done what the trainer says and I have trained several dogs myself but she is something else. I AM AT MY WITS END!

Baby4us09

Asked by Baby4us09 at 9:46 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Pets

• What type of dog is she? Sometimes certain breeds or even their mix can be obstinate. My last dog was the same way except they graduated him because they never wanted to see him again. So sad. Anyway, I had adopted him when he was a year old and bad habits were hard to break. At the time the choke collar was the in way to train them with positive reinforcement but now I found that the Gentle Leader has helped me with my new pup who is also stubborn. It was like night and day since I started using it and it's much easier to use commands along with it and treat incentives. Good Luck!
    Philly247

Answer by Philly247 at 12:04 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• For our difficult to train pup we did a "with me" exercise, to teach him to stay at our sides while walking. Every time he started to pull ahead we were to change directions without saying anything, and give the choke collar a pop, and when the dog was back to the place by our side they should be say "good with me" and quick pat or something. So for your purposes probably say, good heal? Eventually the "heal" command would work after this I owuld assume as well.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 6:39 PM on Apr. 1, 2011