Was I out of line or justified? (mom & mil issue)

Ok so I have a son whose 17. He is a good kid, good grades, goes to church on his own regularly, his gf is a nice girl, he doesnt drink, smoke, and he is high functioning Autistic. I really cannot complain about my son. If we ask him to do something he does it without much complaint, and he is always checking in and makes cur phew.

A few months ago my mom sent him a gift of $100 to put to his class ring. My mil gave him $60 as a Christmas gift for his ring. My son also works and he put in $100. My dh and I put in the rest. We never asked for help. We got his class ring the same day he got his drivers license. I called my mom and told her but I get with the drivers license news she forgot. I forgot to tell my mil and my son forgot to tell either of them.

He got mad and posted something about not being able to find his class ring and my mom responded and said "It would have been nice to know you got it, Love the ATM". Now my mom and dad have alot of money and we never ask them for ANYTHING. But they do sometimes send "gifts" like the $100 to my sons ring. My mil also posted "It would have been nice to see the ring I helped pay for before you lost it". They both put this on his FB which I thought wth? If they had a problem I think they should have called. Am I wrong for being a little put off by this?

Asked by gemgem at 9:57 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• He is a teenager. Their priorities are sooooo different from adults. Mom and MIL should remember that a gift is a GIFT!!. If they wanted praise for it then maybe they shouldn't have given him crap! Maybe they could've called him and asked if he got it yet since it was soooo important to them. WTF!
    KoolMom617

Answer by KoolMom617 at 11:08 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Justified you are.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:00 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• i think its stupid they did that, very immature but i can see their reasoning for being upset.. a class ring is a big deal because you only get one. they should have called, yes
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:59 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• OH forgot I called them both and told them they acted childishly and should apologize.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 9:57 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Yes, they were childish for putting those things on facebook but you and your son were also rude not to show them the ring they helped pay for before he lost it. I also wonder if there are other things that might be bothering them. Have they felt like your son was not thankful for gifts in the past?
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 10:03 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• We get why they were upset too, but my dh even told his mom heck I didnt even know he got it lol. And he didnt. I just thought they always tell my kids not to post BS online then they did it themselves.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 10:04 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Luucky we dont live near by mom so it would be hard to show it to her. Like I said I DID tell her he got it. She just forgot because he got his license the same day. She was more worried about him driving (and I get that too she is grandma) then the ring. My mil idk I think she saw my mom post and just joined in. She normally wouldnt do this. And no my son (this one especially) ALWAYS is thankful and calls them all the time.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 10:05 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• that is not something they need to put on for the public to see that was just rude.... they should have called you and asked what was going on... there are somethings you just don't put on FB... and your mother and mil should know better.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 11:06 AM on Apr. 1, 2011