Does you DD like Tangled? Do you think it sends a negative message to little girls?

KateShesGreat3

Asked by KateShesGreat3 at 10:03 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I've not seen it. BUT as far as Disney movies sending negative messages to young girls, no. Most of the stories like Cinderella and snow white are recreations(with a little artistic liberty)of old fairy tales. They are called Fairy Tales because they are make believe. Tangle is a creative take on Rapunzel. Rapunzel originated in Germany and was published by the Brothers Grimm in the early 1800's. The original story is about a couple that made a deal with a witch to have a baby. So they grew one in the garden and she took it. most Fairy tales were made originally to scare children or in this case people from doing something they shouldn't.

Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I don't get it.. What would the negative message be?

I don't have a girl but my DS liked it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Both my 5 year old DD and myself LOVE the movie Tangled.

What kind of negative message would it send? The girl overcomes the fear of the outside world to follow her dream and escapes the castle, stands up to the woman who kidnapped her, and finds her real parents. Nope...just not seeing a negative message there.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:14 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Uhm what negative message? My dd loves it.

Answer by gemgem at 10:12 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• And for the PP who said she was rescued by a guy...she wasn't rescued. She used him as her guide, not her "rescuer," and she's the one who rescues HIM many times throughout the movie, not the other way around.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:16 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• All of my kids loved Tangled, and so did I. I thought Rapunzel's attitude was great, and the movie was very positive and optimistic. It was great light-hearted entertainment. I know you can identify negative messages just about any where if you want to look for them, but I'd rather see the positive ones, especially when they are so obvious.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:16 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• My DD is only 3mos old... My DS likes it though.

And NO, I don't think it sends a negative message. I have yet to see a negative message for girls in ANY Children's film!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:15 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Not all Disney movies do that, ever watch Alladin? Jasmine pretty much kicks ass and so does Rapunzel. I think some of you ladies are seriously uptight and need to lighten up. Its a disney movie. Not Saw.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• all disney princess movies are based on childrens stories. so does that mean that you wont read the original stories to your kids? come on. ive been waiting for a long time for them to make a movie on repunzel and now im waiting for rumplstilskin (sp)
    doesnt she "rescue"the guy more than he does her?
    humpty dumpty is an unnerving nursery ryme or what about the old lady that live in a shoe? because they are unnerving or teach the wrong message does that mean you are going to stop readying them?
    we havent seen it yet as i was getting it for an easter basket but i cant wait to see it and my dd's love all princess movies. kids arent thinking about that stuff when they watch it they are thinking about how they want that pretty dress or that pretty hair. trust me we watches way worse things growing up like tom and jerry and road runner. this is nothing.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:31 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• i think most disney movies do, but luckily i don't have a daughter to worry about
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 10:05 AM on Apr. 1, 2011