Daycare vs Parent care

Why does daycare cost so darn much? I have almost always qualified for "income based" daycare, but even at those prices I would be losing money to work.So during my six years of marriage either my husband or I have had to stay home. Don't get me wrong we both loved the time spent with our kids, but it makes it horribly difficult to get ahead. Is it a choice any more to be a SAHM/SAHD? Or just part of the reality of not being able to pay for childcare?

Audrice1985

Asked by Audrice1985 at 10:06 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• I choose to stay home with my kids. I had a very well paying job when I got pregnant with my 2 yo but it was still slightly less than my husband's, so I quit. I would have a very hard time working and missing my kids all day long.

Answer by missanc at 10:08 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I think its a choice. My dh and I can work different hours but we choose not to. I stay home and we go without the frills because he believes the kids need a parent at home. My dd she works and her dh stays home, for them it is a choice as well. She does not trust day care providers and is the one with the higher paying job, or earning capability I should say then her dh.

Answer by gemgem at 10:08 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Any paycheck I make would be spent on the sitters and the gas getting to and from. it sucks! I actually tried working in september at a entry level job and all of my paycheck plus some went to the sitter!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:08 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I chose to stay home. We were able to afford it but I wish there were some way for me to work, too. The extra money would be great, as would the adult time, but with three kids we would have to work opposite shifts to be able to actually see the income. Childcare is high, but you are paying for people to care for your children. In this case, you get what you pay for!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:09 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• What we did when I was working was DH went full time 7-5 m-f. Then I went in 5:30-9:30 a few days a week and a couple weekends now and then. We can't afford daycare and he goes out of town for work so right now it is just easier to be a SAHM.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 10:09 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• You are right and its tuff, i am a SAHM and i don't see a way out of the hole. I would rather be home with my kids, but need more money too. I think there should be a site where moms can help moms and people could share childcare needs, this will help stay at home moms make a little extra cash while helping other moms who want to work but can't afford much for childcare. I'm actually writing to my sons teacher today to try and implement a plan for a website for the school for parents. Not just for childcare, but if one dad is a roofer, another a plumber, trade services, help each other. I think it's a great idea! A community helping each other!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I personally with the cost of daycare nowadays that its not even a choice. I am a SAHM for my SD and I will be one with my daughter who is due in June. MY DH works full time and if I were to start working and we put my SD in daycare my entire paycheck basically would be paying for that. So whats the point in going to work when I can stay home and take care of her. It is just to expensive nowadays to send the kids to daycare!!
    annabelle092810

Answer by annabelle092810 at 10:12 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I dont understand why it's soo much $$ either. From what I can tell your paying an arm and a leg to have your child neglected by the daycare staff. Just the reality of the world we live in today I guess. But it's still wrong.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:12 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• My ex and his gf were paying $175 a week for after school care for our son, and $250 a week for daycare for their dd who was a baby/toddler. I never quite got why she bothered to work. Once you add gas, lunches etc her check was gone and I heard about it all the time. I told her she should just stay home then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• i personally think that the prices of daycare have made it to were alot of parents are having to choose one or the other to stay home. most people just do not make enough money to pay for day care and what really bad is the people that are just above the imcome limit to recieve daycare assistance but yet need to work are forced to stay at home because they are stuck right in the spot that you dont qualify for assistance but yet are scraping by. its pretty bad when a daycare gets paid more a week then what you do. the minimum wage is about 7.50 in our state but daycares here want 10 and hour. thats crazy. you are just working to pay for the day care. whats the point.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:17 AM on Apr. 1, 2011