Will he ever go by himself?

My son who is 5 has problems with wetting the bed at night so for the past two weeks I have been waking him up at night to go to the bathroom. At first I was waking him up every 3 hrs then it dropped to 2 and now for the past 2 days I have only woke him up once to go to the bathroom.
I was just wondering if he will ever wake up by himself or just be able to hold it until morning?

jnb71584

Asked by jnb71584 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yes he will just be patient and consistent with him
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 4:09 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• Yes he will. You may also want to try not giving him any liquids 3 hours before bed so he has less of a chance of wetting the bed.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:14 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Most kids train by learning to hold it until morning. There is a hormone that has to kick in for them to be able to concentrate their urine. I think it's DDAVP.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• It's not that unusual for children to wet the bed until they are 7-8, or at least that's what the pediatrician told me. Mine is 6 and still wets the bed almost every night. I think he does it because he is such a sound sleeper. He wears 'night pants' so for us its not too big of a deal.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:04 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• @ vbruno I stop giving him anything to drink at like 6-630 and he has been doing really good. I just don't want him to have to suffer from bed wetting when he gets older.
    jnb71584

Comment by jnb71584 (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• It can take years! My son was older when he stopped. You can drive yourself crazy getting up every night. But it's not going to do anything to help him. You're just catching him before he goes. You should just buy some GoodNights and not worry about it. You can try the alarm. We had some success with that. It is what cut it down to one time a night.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:25 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• At some point in life his "hormone or bladder maturity will kick in ... it just takes longer for some. My bro was 13, my dd is almost 6 and still bedwetting. I think its pretty good that its down to 1x nightly and that he will actually go... she would just sit on the toilet and cry when I tried that.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 2:49 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• My son who will be 3 this month wakes up to potty. All of mine have. One of my 10 year olds friends wears pull ups when he spends the night. So i'm not sure when it becomes a problem
    my4boys310

Answer by my4boys310 at 11:38 PM on Apr. 2, 2011