Husband has money spending problems...anyone else go through this and know how i can fix it?

My husband spends money like we have millions when truth is, we barely have enough to cover all the bills and buy groceries. We got our paycheck today and I only have enough to cover the rent and still have tons of other bills that HAVE to be paid. I don't know what to do. I have tried talking to him about it and explaining what bills we have, but all I get is a "I'm sorry" I told him today that he is not sorry or he wouldn't keep doing it! How do I fix this problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• Take his card? I know it sounds harsh lol, but I have had to do that. I sat mine down and showed him we didnt have the money but he kept spending. I called the bank and cancelled his card. He was angry, but I showed him the problem in black and white and told him I would give him cash. We did that a couple months and then he got his card back. Havent had a problem since.

Answer by gemgem at 10:20 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Take charge of the finances. You keep the bills and check book., Give him an allowance so he cant overspend and take away his debit card. You either put your foot down and make him follow the budget or your bills go unpaid so he can act like a willful child and screw both your credit's up.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:27 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Take his card and put him on cash only. Tell him for the sake of your families financial security this HAS to happen. Good Luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:01 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Have you tried taking over the bills and paycheck? My dh would probably be the same way and honestly I do have some what of a problem myself. It made it better when I took over because I KNEW what was actually IN our bank account so it limited what I spent, and I could also tell him how much (if anything) extra he had for himself.

Answer by gemgem at 10:16 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I have taken over the bills, but with him having a card to the account and his check being direct deposit he spend before I ever see it. Our account has a member privilage credit and he ALWAYS takes us down into it to where when we get his paycheck it is half gone. I am so lost on what to do.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:18 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• time to hand DH an allowance of cash
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:22 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I could try it. I can see the problem with that already. I will get "well I work for the money" I will try that though. I can't cancel the card because his and my card have the same card number on it. Just one has my name on it and one has his name on it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:23 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I had the spending problem. But my DH and MIL sat with me and showed me my issues in black and white. I was kinda upset but I chose to let DH handle all the money. It's been that way for 3 years now, if there is extra we split it and he gets to say nothing on how I spend that. It's a good system!
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 10:24 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Have his pay deposited into an account he has no atm card to. Then give him an allowance...my bd was that way when we together and that's what i did. He couldn't manage a nickle!
    BalooSkii

Answer by BalooSkii at 11:38 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• My dh and I had to set it up so he just got so much per week. He got enough to cover his gas, some lunches (he usually packs) and maybe a movie. If he wanted something else he just had to save his allowance. Sounds like a kid when I write it out, lol. But he knew that he spent way too much money. I took over the bills because he would buy his fun stuff first and forget about the bills. Last year we took Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University and that really opened his eyes to our money. We now are doing pretty well at keeping a budget and paying off debt. I think the classes let him see that he could buy more fun stuff if he could be serious for a few years. lol Whatever it was, it is working, and it is nice to be on the same page now.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 12:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2011