Sedation...help please!!!

My son is having a ct scan bc he has hit his head really hard so many times and I want to make sure nothing is wrong.

Hes 15 months old.
Would sedating him be bad for him in anyway?

Bc I know he's not going to be still but I really don't want him to be knocked out...it scares me

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes they will. For a CT scan to be accurate they HAVE to sedate anyone who cant hold still for it. Your baby will be fine being sedated. It's when your really old or in bad health that it's dangerous to sedate. Better they sedate him and Know for sure the CT scan is correct than have him move around and not get a clear picture.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:16 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Is it a form of anestesia? Can I wake him up whenever I want like when its over?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:21 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• he has to wake up on his own, they come out of it pretty quick.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:23 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• They will only sedate him enough to keep him still. When he wakes up is dependent on how much they give him. The nurse will be with your baby the whole time. The child may be groggy afterwards for the day and may sleep more than usual but it will be alright. The nurse will give you a whole sheet of instructions to follow afterwards.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:24 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• They didn't sedate him just but a heavy protection blanket over him and strapped his head down...a few times the.nurse had to come hold his head with a towel on each side...weird but overall he did good even tho he was scared to death!! Now he is conked out asleep ike they sedated him. I guess all the cryin made him tired ):
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• vbruno hit it right on the head
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 4, 2011