Is it ok to combined birthdays like this?

My son will be 1 in Aug. I dont believe in a big party for a one yr old so I was thinking of combining one for my niece. Her bday is actually Dec 31st but we never can do a party for her cause everyone is away on winter vacation. She is 8. I have all the stuff to do a party for her but was thinking of asking a couple of my sons play buddies to come too. One of them has 2 girls that is my nieces friends anyways. I guess I'm asking do you think its ok to combine them together at this age? I wouldnt do it when my son gets older and they have different likes but he is so little and doesnt understand about a party. My niece is just excited about the party she doesnt care if I make it a double one, she loves her cousin and wants to baby sit him all the time. but I dont want it to bother her the day of.

Granolamama3795

Asked by Granolamama3795 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• that's a huge time difference is months.. i mean you could but it just seems odd to me
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:40 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I do not see an issue with combining them. That way she feels special and knows no one will forgot her birthday since she doesnt really get a party. I think its a GREAT idea personally bc I agree with you with about throwing a huge birthday for a 1 year old!
    annabelle092810

Answer by annabelle092810 at 10:42 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• 1.I'd say if your niece and her parents dont mind then it's not a big deal.
    2. I do agree it is odd to do a birthday party for your neice so far after her birthday
    With that being said, I think if you combine the two and make sure to add things in for your little one as well, so it includes both children, then overall it should be fine. If my child was invited to a birthday party 4 months after the fact I'd think it was odd until I had the info that everyone was on break when her birthday rolled around, then I would totally understand :) Hope things work out for you and the party
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 10:56 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Maybe put it out there for the older kids as a "Belated Birthday Party" on the invites or something
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 10:57 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Everyone knows I am doing a party for her over the summer cause she never gets one on her bday. They are ok with it. Its more for her and her friends to hang out in a bounce house then presents. She does not live with her parents she lives with her grandparents(my parents) and they cant do a party so they have no prob, they think its ok as long as she does too. We have to wait till summer to do a party. My DH is a teacher and he gets summers off so its easier to plan for summer then just a weekend.
    Granolamama3795

Comment by Granolamama3795 (original poster) at 11:01 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• do it ... if everyone is happy , just have fun!
    pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• my middle daughter's bday is on Dec 15 10 days before Christmas, we used to combine her bday and Christmas until she got old enough to notice the difference
    MamaCortney

Answer by MamaCortney at 11:08 AM on Apr. 1, 2011