Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

What to do about horrible neighbor? adult content

We live in a four unit condo. The neighbor below us owns his condo, while we are renting from the people that own ours. For the record, our landlord decided to rent their condo out because of neighbor problems. We have lived here for over a year, and signed a new lease a couple months ago. The building is poorly constructed, and there is very little isulation between our floor and our neighbor's ceiling.

Here is what is going on: Our ten month old son started crawling around the time we re-signed our lease. He will crawl across the floor with a plastic cup or other toy in his hand, making a tap, tap, tapping sound as he crawls. He is a very normal baby, and also loves to bang toys on furniture and stuff ( we never let him bang toys on the floor, it is too loud). He usually gets up around 8 and has breakfast until around 9, so there is no early morning noise. He also goes to bed around 8 pm, and is usually very mellow in the evening, so he hardly ever makes any noise after 6 or 7 pm.

Here is what happens: Our neighbor will start out by swearing (J*s*s Cr*st! F*ck! What the m*th*r f*ck!) or some other tasteful combination of those. He is loud enough that our baby will stop what he is doing for a moment to listen ( for the record he is also learning to speak, and has said several actual words already, and I would prefer that any of those not be in his vocabulary). After a few minutes, if we do not take our baby's toys away, move him across the room onto the area rug, or do something to get him to be quieter, he will hit his ceiling VERY hard with whatever object he has at hand as close to where our baby is as possible. Usually when he hits the ceiling/floor, it will vibrate as well as make a very loud sound, and scare our baby half to death. He has burst into tears a number of times as a result of this, which as his mother makes me want to destroy the old fart.

Here are our options as far as I know: 1. Call our landlord and tell her we have a problem with him ( not going to do us much good, since she is not HIS landlord and can't make him do anything). 2. Call the non-emergency number for the local police and have an officer come and explain to him that we pay rent and have every right for our baby to play in our home. 3. Go down there and explain the same thing to him, and hope I don't lose my temper and the police get called anyway.

What do you think we should do? We can't get out of our lease without paying a big fee, and moving would be really hard right now ( I am also 5 months pregnant and have been morning sick almost every day, so this stress is really getting to me). Thank you ladies, I really appreciate your help :)


Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (21)
  • Yes, the police CAN do something, they can have a chat with him and it not result in violence (and if neighbor did become violent...well, you can't hit a police officer and just get away with it ;). Police can be good mediators.

    Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:03 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

  • I wouldn't confront this guy directly - it will probably only result in a scuffle or an escalation of your situation. I would start documenting everything you can - if you can actually video tape his outbursts and if his cursing can be audibly heard you can show this to your landlord and also write her a letter (always in writing) that the well being of your child is being put in jeopardy by this neighbor. I would absolutely call the police and perhaps they'll come out to let him know HIS outbursts to normal living activity are unacceptable. DOCUMENT everything you can and if the situation is as ridiculous as you say I would bet you could get out of your lease. I had an issue with a neighbor and constant barking dogs and although I felt like Gladys Kravitz - I had to keep a daily log of the dates/times, I video'd the 12 hour barking sessions and they were cited, we did actually end of moving because of it. No fun.

    Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

  • i would go ask him wtf his problem was and tell him to knock it off. you have a BABY, they aren't quiet!

    Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:58 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

  • I'd call the police. You're right in that your landlord can't really do anything (although I'm not sure, but it could be grounds for you to get out of your lease...unable to enjoy the home or something like that). And confronting him yourself sounds like a bad idea, not because you might lose your temper, but because he doesn't sound very stable. Screaming curse words, banging on the ceiling over a tapping noise? That's just over the top to me.

    Call the police, let them come talk to him.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 11:00 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

  • if he's that loud, record him, and then call the police for disturbing the peace

    Answer by AngryBob at 11:01 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

  • The police won't do anything, what he is doing is not breaking any laws.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

  • I'd try writing him a stern,but cordial letter. If it continues,the cops would be called

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

  • When you live below someone, you have to expect these things to happen! If he doesn't like it he should find another place on the top floor! Personally I would start by calling the police. If that doesn't stop him, I would start being a "heavy walker" and when the guy complains tell him that if he doesn't shut up it's just going to get worse and there is nothing he can do about it. If he gets mad and calls the police on you... so wha...t there is nothing they can do about your walking and eventually he will start getting fined for wasting the cops time. Don't let this old guy be a bully to you and your family! I would also let your landlord know that your neighbor is harassing you, if he is renting your landlord should be complaining to to make the behavior stop.

    Answer by Namaste17 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

  • I think you need to have your husband talk to the guy,, at 5 months pregnant, you don't need any confrontation,,if it doesn't help, I would do as Angry Bob suggested and record him, then call the police, they probably won't be able to do much, but it might put a bit of fear in him,,,,,if your landlord moved because of neighbor problems, perhaps they might be able to let you out of the lease? Maybe you could find 2 very quiet mice to rent it,, LOL! I don't know much about construction, but is there some way to insulate between your floor and his ceiling? Maybe your landlord would be willing to do that, esp if they already know you live on top of a fruitcake!

    Answer by kimigogo at 11:07 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

  • You can buy more area rugs or you can go the other way and take up tap dancing yourself. The next time he starts cussing a blue streak you can bang on the floor with a broom stick and yell at him to shut his flithy mouth before he starts banging on his ceiling. I'm just trying to be funny. Call the cops. Maybe you will get lucky and they will haul him off for 24 psyche evalutaion.

    Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:13 AM on Apr. 1, 2011