Has anyone ever experienced weight gain due to depression and stress and any ideas how to loose it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• I've had to do it veeeery slowly. If I try to stick to a hard core diet I'm screwed. I go into a depression all over again and end up gaining it back. So I'm doing little things. Like if I'm hungry for a bowl of ice cream (my weakness lol) then I drink a glass of water. 20 minutes later if I still want it, I have a glass of chocolate milk, or a bagel with cream cheese, or an english muffin or pretty much anything filling that I enjoy eating that's NOT ice cream. 30 minutes later if I still want it then I go ahead and have it.

Just take baby steps and don't stress yourself out over it. Having a good self image is important to overcoming depression. You have to love yourself the way you are to get through this.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:23 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• both are the leading cause of weight gain and health issues - i started including more fresh fruits and veggies - cut out the processed foods - it will be hard at first because your body will detox and crave crappy foods - start walking after ever meal if you can - start easy with just around the block or to the end of the street - increasing the distance and speed everyday - the endorphins will get kick started and help you to feel better.. along with the healthier foods will help combat the weight gain, especially dark colored fruits and veggies - and drink a lot of water - i suffer from anxiety/high stress plus a few other ailments - you cant always make the stress go away - but you can combat it - if you would like more ideas on what i do just send me a message - happy to share

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 10:23 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Yep..and I have hypothyroidism that triggers the depression so weight loss is near impossible for me.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:11 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Most likely the weight gain is caused by stress eating. I am using something that helps you get things under control and helps take the urge away pm me for more info
    BettyBoots

Answer by BettyBoots at 11:43 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Lots of foods especially ones which contain refined sugars and wheat and even dairy will add to your depression.

In order to help with your depression and also your weight loss I would eat as much fruit as you can daily. As much as you desire before each meal and make sure your day includes a large green salad.

As wheat, dairy and sugars have addictive properties also you need to be aware of your eating and why you are eating - if you are eating for comfort or emotionally eating try to solve this by replacing the comfort with a walk or something else. I am currently writing a book on this.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My doctor put me on Seroquel and never told me about the weight gain. I gained 30 lbs. in 2 months and now I'm sitting with that on my body and I quit Seroquel. I try and try to lose weight but I always get cravings for chips at night. During the day, I'm fantastic. At night, I turn into a muncher. Monday, Dec. 1. Another day to start for me. I'm renewing my wedding vows in Vegas on Dec. 22. I have 20 days to get a jump start so I don't feel bloated. Has anyone had weight gain from Seroquel?
    whitedog

Answer by whitedog at 9:58 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I gained weight due to stress eating, I am working with an online coach to help me out to stop compulsive eating and binging.  I have tried every diet in the book and have been unsuccessful, One day I stop myself after eating a whole bag of oreos and asked myself why am i eating and it turned out to be because I had a deadline at work the next day that was contributing to my stress and I was looking for comfort.  

This online coaching seems pretty nice, if you like check them out.  www.totellwellness.com

bonitachicka123

Answer by bonitachicka123 at 3:10 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I gained 20lbs within a 6 month period and I blame it on the stress I had at work. I recently found out that when I am stressed I tend to crave sugary and high carb food. I would go nuts and raid the fridge. My friend was the one who finally pointed out this flaw and she actually suggested I get some help. Emotional eating is such a hard battle to win sometime you need to find some help, my help was actually with http://www.totellwellness.com. They have awesome advice, and tools to give you to work this out. I still have some bad days but believe me they are less than what I used to have.
    lspice234

Answer by lspice234 at 7:01 PM on Oct. 18, 2009