Is my dog dying? :(

I have an 11 year old husky who just had 2 puppies, one didn't make it. She is and always has been an outside dog. She is refusing to eat, she is shaking, and has been very lethargic. Getting her to the vet is a huge struggle, she is a nervous bitter so she has to be mussled and getting her in the car is an hour ordeal, plus I have 2 small kids. My hubby is at work, and no one will be here to help me until 5. I called a vet to see if they could come out and check her, and no one is available until tomorrow afternoon. I'm at a loss.... She has been part of our family for 6 years, but she has never gone through this after having puppies. I have tried googling her symptoms and come up empty handed..... I don't know what to do for her. :'(

BabyBugsmama

Asked by BabyBugsmama at 11:21 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Pets

• Lord, does it matter why or how the dog got pregnant? she was asking a question and asking for help. I hope all of you do not ever have a dog that goes into heat and find out just how hard it is to keep them locked up even after the vet said she would not go into heat.............hope all is ok with the dog and little puppy too, next time just don't mention her age and ignorant people wont freak so bad.
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 12:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I can't believe the childish vote downs on this thread! Vicesix wasn't rude, she was concerned for the dog's well being and being honest. I work with rescues, and this stuff is frustrating. Get that poor dog spayed, she can't handle more puppies, more than she could getting spayed. Find a different vet, we spay older dogs than that, to get them adopted at the rescue. My dog isn't fixed, but she is properly contained. There is some responsibility on the part of the owner here. Why should the poor dog suffer because she's not keen on taking her to a vet. When you have a pet they rely on you to do right by them whether you are broke or not. It's actually against the law to not get proper veterinary care for your ailing pet, and your animals can be seized. I really hope she's okay.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• You need to take her to the vet. It sounds like she may have milk fever. It's common after a dog has puppies, and no she won't die from it, but she needs treatment or it get's worse, and she'll fail to care for the puppies. 11 years old is too old to be having litters.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I think you had better get her to the vet,, I am so sorry,,,,could someone come and stay with the kids a bit? She might still have pups left in her,, and she could be going into shock, perhaps the vet will let you come and give a pill to give her to calm her down before you take her in? IDK,,,but I know how much it hurts to see your pet in pain, please let us know what you find out! HUGS!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:36 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• You should take her to the vet. There are a number of things that could be wrong, including a dead puppy still inside her that is now causing her to go septic. If there's any way you can get her to the doc, you should do so ASAP.
    PS--if she's an outside, 11 year old dog, why isn't she spayed?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 11:22 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Yeah, it does matter, because the animal is suffering from it, because he is in no condition to have a litter of puppies. So before you call others ignorant, do some research.

I have a dog that isn't fixed for 4 years and NEVER has she had an accidental litter. It's not that hard. Whether the vet said the dog could go into heat shouldn't matter....we know what a dog in heat looks like.

Accountability doesn't make you a bad person, it just avoids problems down the road, so there is no repeat. This dog has had other litters. This isn't a first time deal.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• On March 2nd our 14 yr old Shepherd had a stroke at home, so I can sympathize, but I was all alone, she weighed 110 lbs, and I couldn't get her to the vet on my own, SO I CALLED SOMEONE TO HELP ME. A close friend of ours came over and he helped me get her in the Jeep, and I took her in. She had a stroke at home, and then a heart attack, and died on the table at the Vet. I'm glad I asked for help, I didn't want her to be here for our boys to see. It was hard enough that she was gone when they got home from school.

Get help for her, you owe her that much! I'm sorry but she's outside, alone, and suffering, get her some help! Call a neighbor, friend, whatever it takes to get her to the Vet.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

•   I don't see where anyone is being rude, just stating facts.  My moms dog died because she didn't know that she could still have a litter of puppies at such an old age.  And she too was told that it wouldn't happen by a VET.  And if she hadn't of taken some advice and not taken her dog in or gotten anything for her what if BabyBugsmamas dog had also died?  Personally I'd rather have someone tell me the truth then to try to sugar coat something and my animal pass on by something that could have been prevented. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• One of her puppies died. I think she's sad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I do understand your hardship, but your companion needs to get to the vet with her puppy. If she won't eat or drink she won't be able to feed the puppy. Good luck
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:25 AM on Apr. 1, 2011