WWYD: Playdates

My son enjoys playing with the neighbor children but recently every time we call this one neighbor the child is busy or is playing with so-and-so and can't play. It happened this morning again and the child had asked my child yesterday before getting off the bus if they could play together today and now this child is playing with someone else.

How would you deal with this? My child is very upset and feels like this other child doesn't have the time to play together anymore. I have talked to the parent and she just brushes it off. My child and I feel the same way that if no one else is available or around then we are good enough otherwise they are too busy.

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• thats soooo sad. I hate people like that I would invite others. like from the parks, or school ( once you get to know them) find a park to enjoy for an hr or so... and just ignore the neighbor .. she'll come back around. Its not the child's fault and I would still let them play,,, but would keep my distance from her!!! Has she ever invited your child to her how for a play date or is it at your house mostly???
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 11:43 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I would not ask again...just me. Let the kid bug his mom until they invite your child over.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:28 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I would just encourage your child to find others to play with, even if you, have to travel a little to work it out. Kids go through phases like this, it'll probably get better, but in the meantime find people who actively want to play with your DS so that it doesn't become a self-esteeem issue.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 11:31 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Don't ask them again. Find other kids to play with.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:41 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• What I did was have my kids stop asking X to play and I encouraged them to find new friends and invite them over.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:08 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Find someone else to play with.
    I don't have that issue. We don't make playdates. My kids friends all live in our neighborhood (most of them on our block) and when they want to play they go ring doorbells until they find someone that can come outside. Their friends do the same thing. Last weekend I almost disconnected the doorbell it rang so many times (mostly the same boy looking for my son who was avoiding him I guess...he was at another friend's house). Yesterday there were about 15 kids in front of my house playing football or rolling down our driveway. All between the ages of 4 and 11, both boys and girls. It was great (as long as they stay outside...wouldn't want them all in my house).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I'd call the other kids mom and ask if there was a reason she didn't want them to play together. Maybe it's a problem you can solve, maybe it isn't but i'd at least try and find out.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:05 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• You can tell its the parents who are saying no because the child is asking your kid to come play. The kid doesnt know whats going on ether hes just doing what his parents are telling him to do you can see he wants to play with your son. I dont know maybe some thing happen when he was over there or she just doesnt like your son there can be lots of things you know moms how we are with our kids. I would just stop trying and have your son make a new friend and just talk to him about what happen that is cool you can make new friends. I know are car was down and my son needed a ride to school and it was the weekend and i told him ask your friend who lives the next block over to see if you can ride with him. My son asked and the kid said i dont see why not i'll ask my mom when she gets home to call you and talk to your mom. I never got any call and when i had my son call him back he said oh no we cant.
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Kind of sounds like they don't want to do playdates with you any more.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 6:02 PM on Apr. 1, 2011