Nursing and co-sleeping help!

We've been co-sleeping with my now 1yr old DD since she was born and now I've realized I've made a HUGE mistake. How on earth can I make her fall asleep without nursing? Or how can I get her used to sleeping in a crib? I fear I may have to try CIO as a last resort :(

mommacierra

Asked by mommacierra at 11:40 AM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She is still young. I could never let my kids CIO. But maybe I'm not a good example. I still have a 5 year old in my bed!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:42 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Work on one thing at a time. I would start on the nursing. At this point she is using you as a pacifier. You will need to reteach her on how to fall asleep without a nipple in her mouth. Try starting a different bedtime ritual...bath, book, rocking...Get into a routine.

Once you have that down for a month or so, work on getting her into her own bed. when I moved her to her bed, I would put her in it for naps for the first week only. That way she got the idea that it wasn't a bad place to be. Then at night, I would put her in it and turn off the lights and read a book (to myself with a book light). I would sit right next to her bed. In 3 nights, I would move the chair a little closer to the door, and then a couple nights later, I would move it again. Once I was by the door, I would then put her down, leave, let her fuss 5 mins and check on her, then 10 mins then 15...It only took 3 nights to fall asleep& no crying
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:51 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• You don't have to do it all at once.

It's stressful on her and on you. Take it a step at a time.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:52 AM on Apr. 1, 2011

• My DD co-slept with me until the age of 4. DH & i could not sleep in the same bed, so it worked out good.

I started putting movies on for her, which started another bad habit. Eventually, i had to wean her off the TV at night too a bit later when she was 3. But, no movies at night was easier & less painful to go through, than taking the boob away. I know 1 is young for movies/tv , but she would just stare at it & fall asleep in like 15 minutes....it worked so well for me at the time! And she did not cry for me!

Also, she is 9 now & is not a TV junkie at all. That was just a one time fix & it worked!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:07 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Start a bedtime routine...bath, read books, quiet time etc. And the sooner you do it, the better. Letting her cio won't hurt her at all, it may be painful to listen too, but it won't last forever and in the end you both will be happier. Good luck!
    H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 4:18 PM on Apr. 1, 2011