Does a perforated ear drum hurt?

My little man has a nasty ear infection and appearantly a perforated ear drum. He's 6 mths old. This is his 3rd infection in that ear in 2 mths. His pedi wants me to take him to an ENT because its not common in an infant. Everything I've read says it should heal and there shouldn't be any hearing loss or anything like that but does anyone know if it hurts? His pedi says it shouldn"t because the infection already popped and the pressure isn't there but what about the tear in the ear drum?

nicholeml

Asked by nicholeml at 10:28 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was three when he had to have tubes put in his ears. I can understand your concern. The pediatrician told me the same thing about perforated ear drums. My son stopped complaining when his perforated. To keep water out, put a wad of silly putty big enough to make the ear canal water tight.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 10:39 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• My daughter just had this happen and it was very painful when it ruptured.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:46 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Yes! It hurts like crazy! It happened to me.
    Anonymous