How can I get my kids to clean their rooms and KEEP them clean?

I have a 17 year old boy, a 13 year old boy and a 10 year old girl. I am a single mom. Their rooms are upstairs in my house and I just had to stop going up there. You can't even see the floor in the two younger ones' rooms! Their bathroom is gross. I am clean, so I can't figure out how they could be my kids and live like this? I have tried everything, incentive, grounding, taking things away, begging, jobs charts, etc.... Please help me!

kreid0705

Asked by kreid0705 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• that is the question parents have been wanting the answer to for years lol keep trying groundings and if all else fails..do like my mil did to dh.. take everything off the floor and put it on their beds one day.. they hate that
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:09 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Tell the kid's YOU will Clean the bedrooms OUT if they dont clean them themselves. When they dont, go in there and clean em out. Take Everything out they dont need or wouldnt clean up themselves. It REALLY works wonders, especially on older kids.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:15 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• clean their room for them, but every time you clean it...take something of his out & hide it. When he asks where it is tell him;

"well, i have been having to clean your room for you. Since you won't do it, i will be cleaning your room MY WAY. If you don't like missing things, then maybe you should clean your own room so that you can clean it your way."

this worked wonders on me. Once my stuff started missing, i was freaking out. And yeah....any time i didn't clean my room...my mother would toss something of mine out. I thought she was a bitch at the time, but now i realize she was a genius!

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Take everything that is on the floor and throw it away and maybe next time they will know to keep it clean.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 12:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Instead of throwing it away you can take everything and keep it in a container or something and every day that their room stays clean give one thing back (you choose what it is, not them, so they don't get what they want and give up the rest of the stuff).
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 1:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I just had to pare down what they had so a mess couldn't be made that wouldn't take an hour to clean.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• How do you nail Jello to the wall? LOL, I give up...I just treat our home like a hotel. The "Lobby" is the living room...not your room...so keep your crap in your room and out of our "Lobby"
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:16 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• What have you taken away from them? You can not let them use the bathroom any more until they clean it take their beds away take and then tell them you are going to give it to the church to kids who will take care of it. Does the older one drive you can not let him use the car until he can keep the house clean. I dont know. Do they ever go to their dad's and if so is it like that too? Dont let them have any thing at all. Crazy i dont know if any of that will help, cause i dont have that problem..HAHA not yet... Mine are 12,6,5.2 three boys and one girl.
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• STill trying to figure that one! I make them and monitor them.
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 2, 2011