6-hour flight with an energetic 3-year-old: aisle or window?

I will be traveling with my son in a couple of months, and I'm wondering which might be better for us on a plane with 3 seats per row: middle and aisle seats, or middle and window seats??

On the one hand, he could busy himself looking out the window or play with the shade (which he did incessantly on another flight last year). But on the other hand, if one of us has the aisle seat, then it would be easier to get up and walk around (or go the bathroom) without further disturbing the 3rd person on our row.

(This will be the 5th or 6th flight I've taken with him, and all of them have pretty much been stressful because he's so active & hard to contain in one spot for such a long time. Hoping someone comes up with a pro or con that maybe I forgot or haven't thought of before.)

phoofy

Asked by phoofy at 12:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Aisle please. if you get a window the kid will only be in and out all the time.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:24 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Buy the row, and do the very back of the plane. It will make it so much easier for bathroom trips and nap time....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• back of the plane on the isle. your kiddo will just sit there and open and close the blinds on the window 7 billion times and drive everyone nuts with it and getting up to walk around is a MUST!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I always flew with my kid's on red eye flights ONLY. That way the kid's usually slept through the whole thing and I didnt have dozens of other people shooting dagger looks at me. It really is annoying to no end to be on a flight with a monster child that the parent (s) cant or wont do anything about. Red Eye flights were a lifesaver for me.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Hmm, never even thought about buying the whole row! I love the idea, but the pocketbook doesn't :(
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• it depends...if he's in a car seat, he has to be by the window for safety purposes. we learned this the hard way when we flew with our 2 1/2 year old dd. i would say aisle/middle seat for the two of you, bc if it's a 6 hour flight he'll have to be up and down to pee (unless he's not potty trained yet)..i guess ultimately it's up to you...good luck.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 12:28 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• vbruno, our flight going to our destination will be a red eye. I'm hoping for better luck this time around, because the last time we tried it, my son refused to sleep! He finally zonked out during the last hour of the flight. Thankfully, he wasn't being loud or bothersome, but boy, I had forgotten what it was like to be THAT tired from lack of sleep.

Unfortunately, our flight back home, since we're going from east to west, there are no red eye flights available.
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I have one word for you "Benedryl"
    Anonymous

• Is it just the two of you? If so, book the window for son, and the aisle for you. Nobody ever wants the middle seat, so unless the plane is full, you'll likely have the whole row to yourself. If the plane is full, the person with the middle seat will gladly give it up to you in exchange for whichever seat you would like to give them.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 12:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Also, if my above suggestion isn't possible for some reason, I would recommend the window seat for a red-eye flight. More than likely he'll want to sleep most of the flight, and having the wall next to the seat will give him something to prop a pillow against. If he's in the aisle, it's very likely people will keep bumping his seat and waking him up.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 12:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2011