My daughter will be one in 11 days, is it ok to give her cows milk even when shes still nursing?

I plan on nursing for a long time but I want her to have a variety of drinks not just juices and water. Im just not sure if it will mess with her stomach nursing her and giving her cows milk. For some reason I think it will mess with her stomach period once I start her on cows milk cuase it has allot of fat in it and shes not used to that. Plus I really would like for her to like cows milk cause I waited so long to give it to my son that he till this day at 4 yrs wont drink cows milk unless its warmed up like my breast milk used to be. Should I start her on the cows milk and just see how it goes?

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can try and see how she likes it. We gave DS soy milk once he turned one (he's lactose intolerant), in addition to nursing.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I went straight from nursing to cows milk with my two oldest (two youngest didn't make it to the 1 year mark :/).
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• hmm you can make sure you dilute it with water :D
    Anonymous

• I started my children on cows milk at 10-11 months. THEY LOVED IT.And my pediatricion gave me the ok. And..as for the "warm" cows milk that your son loves...you as a mother do have the control to say "no" and offer him cold milk...and honestly.. my kids went through that stage for the first year of drinking cows milk...but after that they started to drink it cold. And... play the "big kid" card as well.. let him know that the big kids drink their milk cold. GOOD LUCK!
    kristinamalek

Answer by kristinamalek at 12:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Nothing wrong with doing that. But be aware that young children, especially between their first and second birthdays, NEED that fat to develop crucial stuff in their little bodies yet, like their brains. She shouldn't need much anyway if she'll still be nursing, maybe 1 serving (8 oz) of it a day. Water is the most important thing besides breastmilk.
    Anonymous

• I would just go for letting her try it. Anon is right, the fat in the milk is good for the kids. it's why they say whole milk and not fat free milk.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Go for it...ur child will let u know if they are ready or not
    Lenore0708

Answer by Lenore0708 at 9:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2011