My son adhd

he had been on med for 1 years  and  iam  try to get  ssi for him .

LILI11

Asked by LILI11 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• so what is your question?
    Anonymous

• I don't understand your question sorry?
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• There is no reason to get SSI for him.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• You'll get denied. Then you can try to appeal but its slim. You have to prove he is incapable of normal life & I doubt that's the case. It's ADHD. Millions of people live with ADHD. My son has had it his whole life. He's an adult now. He graduated HS. He has a job. He's getting married. You're not disabled to the point of non functioning due solely to ADHD!
    Anonymous

• Why do you need SSI for him? He can still participate normally in life and in everyday activities, right?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:03 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• You can't get SSI. That's for people who won't be able to be productive in life.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 2:07 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Many people do have SSI for ADHD. You would have to have a doctor state the reasons why the disorder impacts your child's life to the degree that it impairs his ability to function normally and there is a need for additional money to provide for his care and disability. It would be difficult but not unheard of. Usually the kids I know with it are truly more borderline MR and almost meet criteria for autism but still have ADHD as primary dx. I know an adult who is impaired and has SSIA for this disorder.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I can honestly say who ever voted my aswer down was a dumb ass bitch. I answred truth. Not my opinion. Yes, a child with ADHD can get ssi
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:22 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I do not think you can get a check for ADHD!
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• The child must have a physical or mental condition(s) that very seriously limits his or her
    activities; and
    • The condition(s) must have lasted, or be expected to last, at least 1 year or result in death

This was taken from the SSA website.

ADHD could be covered as long is it fits in these perimeters.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:11 AM on Apr. 2, 2011