Im 37 weeks 4 days and last night at 7:24 p.m I took 1 tbs of castor oil. I had some contractions but nothing else happened. any suggestions on how to get my contractions stronger so i can go into labor? adult content

i didnt have a bm (tmi) or anything

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• why would you risk going into labor so early? You're baby may not be ready yet. There is a reason women are pregnant for 40 weeks.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 12:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Castor oil isn't a safe way to indue labor :/ too late now and I am not judging. It can actually cause baby to have a bowel movement which can be harmful when baby is born. I wouldn't do it again. You could walk, squat down when you feel a contraction (helps stretch you out and pushes babies head down, or so that is what my OB had told me) if you have a birthing ball or a stability ball you could bounce on that. Not a whole lot more you can do. Good luck!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Why do you want to go into labour early? A pregnancy lasts forty weeks... your baby will come when it's ready.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• What does your OB/Midwife say about the caster oil?? Why are you trying to induce labor?? You still have a ways to go. Talk to your medical professionals to see if this is smart at this point. If there are medical reasons you should delivery they have better ways. If it's not medically necessary to deliver right now then your baby is NOT ready... stop trying to make it happen faster!!!! You could be sorry!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• But I'm with the other mamas, I wouldn't be trying to bring on labor so early quite yet. Baby may not be ready.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• i don't understand why you want the baby out 3 weeks early...not very smart....wait until 40 weeks & if you have not gone into labor yet, then give this more thought....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:41 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Taking that stuff is not a very good way to induce labor. (not trying to be mean) it can make the baby pass a bowl and if he/she swallows it there can be many problems. Anyway though there are plenty of ways to help try and home induce labor. The few that are safe to try without talking to the doctor are walking and not just alittle Im talking about hours. Also sex even if it May seem like its not helping it probably is ( a mans semen helps soften and dialate your cirvix and when you get off it releases a hormone that is your bodys natural form of potocin) then masterbation is another way working in the same way as sex. Then you move on to other natural ways but these have not been proven to be safe so before doing any of them you must talk to your doctor. Nipple stimulation is one way to help start and strengthen contractions. (i am running out of room so i will just do a second post) cont.
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 12:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Lots Of Walking!!!!!!!
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 12:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Wow.  That's REAL smart.  People should have to get a license to be pregnant.  Seriously.  Now what if it had worked and your baby been seriously underweight and not able to breathe?  Irresponsible.  And honestly I'm not going to sugarcoat a damn thing because I'm sick of women complaining constantly about how to get their babies out "early".  If your this irresponsible now, I feel sorry for that baby.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:59 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Cont. Again i will start out with saying with any of these you must talk with doctor before doing them because as i have said they have not been proven to be safe some midwives do use these methods but only when they feel it is nessacery. You can use evening prime rose oil ( this can be found in capsule form at any drug store) you take 2-5 pills and place them next to your cirvix and this helps to soften and dialate you. There are also cream that you can get from your midwife (if you have one) that you rub on your belly to help start and strengthen contractions. There are also alot of herbal things you can take but only is you doctor are midwife say so and they give you the proper amount to take. Herbal meds can put your baby in distress and drop the heart rate if not taken by way of midwife or doctor. So do not try these unless you have approval first.
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 12:59 PM on Apr. 1, 2011