I found a one hit pipe in my 18 year old back pack, now what?

My son has been acting not the norm and skipping school. I found a one hit glass pipe in his back pack. He isn't here this weekend and is spending it with his father. How should I handle this? I am thinking on waiting until he gets back on mon. and then the three of us have a talk. I just don't know how to go about this. He's 18 but it is my house. What do you suggest I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• call his dad and ask him for his advice too
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• even if hes 18 Drugs are ILLEGAL
    Anonymous

• Tell him not in your house. Not much you can do since he's 18, but you can tell him to keep it out of your house.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Can you call his Dad to discuss. Then, the three of you should sit down together and discuss boundaries/consequences. If he is skipping school, then it is not ust a recreational problem, it is a lifestyle problem . . . and you guys need to take control before your son has the opportunity to spiral. Even though he is 18, if he is still in your house, in high school, and being supported by you, then what you say goes.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Call his dad, make sure you guys agree and are on the same page, and dont allow it. Even if he is 18 it is your house and if the illegal substances are found YOU will go to jail, because it is your house. If anything is in his dads house he could wind up in jail for possession too. Even if they find it on your sons person or in his car they will search the place he lives and the owner of the home will get in trouble.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I caught my son with stuff like that twice. The first time I took it, and threw it away. He came home and was obviously looking for it. I asked him what he was looking for? He said "Nothing". I said you arent looking for your pipe? I thought you might. His eyes got really big and he said yes where is it? I said I figure its at the dump by now, Friday was trash day. Boy was he mad, apparently it was his friends. I told him if I ever found drugs or anything like it in my home again he would go to rehab. I found some again and he went to rehab.

Answer by gemgem at 1:04 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Gemgem . .. you are awesome for follow-thru!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• cis mom investigate give him lovly reminders of a good man living the consequesces in his work school and dont let him fall , help him in a good way not giving him privileges not deserve...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 4:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I dont care if he's 18 or 28- he's still living under your roof, your rules. I'd tell him since I did not turn his pipe smoking a$$ into the police, he is now on MY probation! There are at home drug tests that he would be taking whenever the mood struck me, without notice! He would have to life except for home & school & studying. If he doesnt like those conditions, ask him how he thinks conditions are in jail or rehab? If you suspect he's still using, then rehab it is! That number 18 has no magic power over this house! Dont let him pull that crap w/ y ou either! Get tough on him now mama before he makes such a huge mess for himself, that it will take years to undo. GL :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:12 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Show him the door.
    purplerobin

Answer by purplerobin at 3:18 AM on Apr. 6, 2011