Surrogacy and previous criminal conviction

I want to be a surrogate before I get my tubes tied. I already have 2 of my own, I'm healthy and in my early 20s. I feel I should do it before I have the operation but I went on a website and I found that they don't want someone who has a criminal background and I had a DUI charge 2 years ago after going out with my friends. Will that prevent me from being a surrogate? If so I'll just get my tubes tied but I'd hate to do it knowing I'm fertile and very capable of carrying a baby for a deserving infertile couple. I don't have any substance abuse problems or smoke. All my pregnancies have resulted in full term births.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Check the status of your DUI, then call the surrogacy place and ask them.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I don't think so, only if you have chemical dependency issues. They are really strict, and they may be concerned. Also, you can be a surrogate with tied tubes. They just need your oven! LOL
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:12 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Call an Adoption Lawyer. They will help you find a family to work with & answer all your questions.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:12 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• CraftingMama: Wups! Duh you're right! I just don't want to carry a child later in life. I'd rather do it now, pay off my student loans since I finished college and live my life!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• i would say call a lawyer and see what they tell you good luck
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 1:22 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• You could call and ask but if I was choosing a surogat I would NOT choose someone with criminal history. JMO
    Anonymous

• If you're totally honest I think you'll be fine. To JMO; If you were needing a surrogate you'll accept almost anyone. There are more IP's then surrogates. So when it comes to a record for something small and many years in the past they will overlook a lot.
    mm_mom515

Answer by mm_mom515 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 24, 2011