My teenager is hurting inside

My daughter is obese she is 14 and 236 lbs she is by far not a lazy child and she is a twin her twins is about 105 lbs so they are complete opposite. The youngest twin eats more than she does and does not gain weight but the oldest just keeps on growing and growing. Her pediatrician did the standard tests and by Gods grace she does not have diabetes high blood pressure or high cholesterol or a thyroid disease....I am starting weight watchers tomorrow but she does not want to go to the meetings with me, when I talk about what steps we are going to take to loose the weight she becomes upset crying and I don't know how to help my baby. She cries saying she wants to loose the weight and I want to help her the best way I can as her mother it breaks my heart that my baby feels this way. Her father and I were not obese as teenagers I became this big (260 lbs) once I had them and let myself go. Does anyone have any suggestions. Like I stated I am going to start the program tomorrow I told her she does not have to go with me she can just follow the plan I am going and we will go to the gym 3 times a week to walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I explained to her once she starts to come down she will feel better and different. If any you have an overweight teen I am open to ANY suggestions you have.

twinblessed

Asked by twinblessed at 1:13 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• Have her see a therapist.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:15 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• have you had her thyroid checked???
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 1:15 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• She has seen a therapist and does not wnat to go back, and I had her thyroid levels checked and the were normal
    twinblessed

Comment by twinblessed (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• buy her some workout tapes she can do at home. She's most likely too embarrassed to go to the gym. Get the whole family involved in walking,biking,etc so she isn't singled out

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• How tall is your daughter? If u want to talk about this issue with your daughter u can message me that way it is just u and me talking.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• She said she would go to the gym with me because parents are allowed to bring their children as long as they are over 13 and I know if I turn on the workout chanel and cable she will not do it we have wii fit but she got board with that. Once the weather gets better here in Maryland she and I and her twin commited to walking on the days we do not go to the gym
    twinblessed

Comment by twinblessed (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• if you can take her to an endocrinologist to have her thyroid checked. Also talk to her dr about the possibility of checking her pituitary glad (especially if she has any symptoms that are affecting her periods). Other than that talk to her about finding a counselor she can connect with, they are not one size fits all but are very helpful when you find one you can work with. I was an overweight teenager, after a lung infection as an asthmatic i gained 50lbs by being on steroids, i went to therapy and she was great. she got me to sign contracts with her that kept me accountable to my goals-being active, being social, etc. Focus less on the weight and more on the health, make sure your daughter knows that too. It's a hard subject for girls, body image can be so damaging, but it's good she has a mom who wants to make things better for her and with her, Good Luck!
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 1:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Thank you dance I am going to message you now
    twinblessed

Comment by twinblessed (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Thank love I am crying while typing this bacause I am at my wits end, my husband and I make sure she knows she is beautiful in every sense of the word. We make sure to tell her how much we love her, and grateful to God we have her and her twin as daughters.
    twinblessed

Comment by twinblessed (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Does her twin every talk to her, she could really help her also
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 1:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2011