Should a get a piece of dirt out of baby's eye or wait for it to work itself out?

It looks like a small piece of some kind of debris. It doesn't seem to be bothering her at all, but she's squirming and pulling away from me when I try to get it out. If I leave it alone will it work itself out? I don't want the dirt to damage her eye but I don't want to scratch her eye trying to get it out. Advice?

Karinza

Asked by Karinza at 11:09 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had the same problem with my son, he'd get little fuzz or whatever in his eye and I'd freak out and try to get it out. It never seemed to bother him either. I asked a nurse and she said if it's not bothering them to just leave it alone. It will work it's self out and you might cause more damage than help at that point.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 11:25 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• It should work it's way out. My son used to get stuff in his eye and never bothered him either.
    Anonymous

• How old is she? I would defiantly try to get it out, i would think it could be very harmful to her eye. Try laying her down and squeezing a damp warm washcloth over her eye, and see if the water helps wash it out. Reason i ask how old she is, is because younger babies dont have fully developed tear ducts (i think)... so if she is too young her eye might not form the tears needed to wash the dirt out of her eye.
    Klynn-whitlow

Answer by Klynn-whitlow at 11:12 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Being a person who has very bad eyes and has a family with eye problems I would definitely leave it alone. There have been people who "helped" get things out, it scratched the eye, and bacteria set in and caused an eye infection. Just let it work itself out. If it stays there for a while and looks like it is bothering her I would take her to an eye dr. and they can get it out.
    SuperBamaMom

Answer by SuperBamaMom at 11:17 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I would wash it out with saline. Don't stick your finger in there.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 11:23 PM on Nov. 28, 2008