Whats the best age to introduce juice?

My daughter will be 7 months old on Dec. 1. so i was wondering, when can i start giving her juice, or even water? I'm already starting her on table food ( green beans, and mashed potatoes) She's does really good with it. So I was just wondering when could i start her on different drinks.

cmjt

Asked by cmjt at 11:12 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can give her water anytime. She doesn't need it when she is younger, but it helps to get her used to the plain taste of it... so she doesn't refuse it as she gets older. Just make sure you don't give her so much water that she is getting full off it, cause she does still need the calories of the formula/breast milk. Juice i started at 6 months, that is also when i started introducing the sippy cup. She shouldn't get more than 4 ounces of juice a day though. The technically don't need juice, and it really isn't as good for them as you would think... which is why the recommend no more than 4 ounces a day. Its more for variety. But l have to give it to my daughter to help keep her from getting constipated. She is now 16 months, and gets a 4 ounce cup of juice a day.
    Klynn-whitlow

Answer by Klynn-whitlow at 11:17 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• no juice. maybe as a treat. it really doesn't have much nutritional value.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 11:18 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• my baby is 4 months old and gets juice. once or twice a week as a treat... usually it is very watered down.. just tying to give him a little variety!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 11:31 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• my son drinks it about 4 or 5 times a week but only pedilylite or however u spell it because it helps his b.m's since he was 2 months old. n he's almost 7 months
    garcia88

Answer by garcia88 at 12:01 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/juiceforbaby.htm
    I would only give the baby water.
    he AAP recommends using fruit juice sparingly for infants (Misuse of Fruit Juice) "It is prudent to give juice only to infants who can drink from a cup (approximately 6 months or older). Teeth begin to erupt at approximately 6 months of age. Dental caries have also been associated with juice consumption.Prolonged exposure of the teeth to the sugars in juice is a major contributing factor to dental caries.
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 12:01 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I would reccomend flavored water its beter for the baby
    soldierswife11

Answer by soldierswife11 at 2:15 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Did not give my son juice till he was three years old and diluted it when I did. Better to give them fresh fruits than juices. Healthy table foods like green beans, peas, spinach, squash and many other vegetables are wonderful. My son did not have any sweets till three years old he is a fantastic eater and very healthy. I would wait to give the juice till much older and would avoid rice cereal nothing nutritious about that stuff.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Juice is mainly empty calories and sugar.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:14 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• You can offer water with the solid meals. I'd wait on the juice because there is no need for it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:28 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• my baby's doctor said it was ok to start her on watered down juice at 3 months. I use apple juice. and i think it is great. I normaly feed her every 4 hours but she gets hungry before that. and i give her juice water to hold her over.
    Darkangelpunk

Answer by Darkangelpunk at 8:45 AM on Nov. 29, 2008