A vent and a question

Last week some things came up and I had to quit my job at an in home daycare. Well the girl that was my boss told me anytime bub wanted to come over that he could. So today he kept asking over and over to go. We get there and the kids were all playing with playdough so my son being the 2 year old he is just jumps in and starts playing. Well one of the children is her son and my son sat by him and he picked up some scirrors and her son literally flipped out. Now i realize this can and will happen im not anywhere near upset about that...it was the remark she had said..."well if he were around children this wouldn't happen like it is now" Oh i wanted to jerk my son up and leave then. He is 2! Its gonna happen regardless if he is or isn't around other children! Sorry i am a bit irritated at this remark. My question though is how can I help my 2 year to wait and share and take turens. He is around other kids besides her daycare just not all day. I have tried explaining and showing him how to share and no ttake toys. Also have told him that its not nice to take toys from others, that is hurt your (my son) feelings when someone else takes your things. I don't know what else to do.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 1:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• let it go
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:28 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• As far as teaching my children to share I would get down and play with them. My son would run up the second I started playing with a toy and try to take it. I would say "Please don't take the toy that I'm playing with. You need to share, please play with something else" and at first he'd try to take it again. Which eventually lead to a tantrum because I wouldn't give it to him. After a while he stopped trying to take the toys I was playing with, because he understood that when I'm playing with it he has to wait. Then his sister came along .. And it started all over again. When he takes something from her and they fight over it they get a warning "Either you two share or it gets taken away" and I tell my son (or daughter if she took it) "You have to share with one another. They were playing with it, so you have to wait your turn" .. And if she/he ditches it I let the other know it is now their turn.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Learning to share and take turns is developmental just like walking and talking. Most children don't understand sharing or taking turns until they are around 3 or 4. The best thing to do with toddlers is to make sure there are enough supplies/materials for everybody, and if your boss has made a career in early childhood care she should know that.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2011