How young it too young to have asthma?

My 4 month old wheezes really bad. I have had many people comment on it and ask me if he has asthma. He was born by c-section and he was wheezy at the hospital, the docs said it was b/c I didn't have a labor so he had fluid in his chest...that I can understand. However, it has never gone away. He sounds so raspy. His 02 stats have always been perfect, he has never had an "attack." When I ask the doc he says he's too young to have asthma and some babies just sound like that. His dad had asthma when he was little and I did too...so it makes me wonder. Have any of you had babies with asthma? How old?

I work at a children's hospital but keep forgettign to ask :)

a_and_j_momma

Asked by a_and_j_momma at 11:22 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both my daughters have asthma and my first was diagnosed at her 1-year-old check up but my younger one was earlier than that since I knew it runs in the family on my husbands side. If our regular doctor doesn't fully diagnose what the wheezing is I think it would be good to see an asthma specialist. They are so much more well trained in hearing the difference in different kinds of breathing - normal and abnormal. It's always good to find out for sure or maybe just find out what it is not. I hope your baby will get better.
    MammaHoney

Answer by MammaHoney at 11:40 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• my niece was diagnosed with it i think at 6 months old she might have been younger
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:26 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• they can't officially diagnose it as full blown until they are like 2 or something.. until then it's "infant asthma" My son had it really bad( he's 3 now.. and totally fine)... had to do breathing tmts. and even ended up in the hospital with RSV the day after Christmas last year... just keep an eye on it.. especially this time of year...
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 11:29 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• u can be born with it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• That is a side effect of being born by c-section. It's called Transient Tachypnea of the Newborn, doctors really should mention this more when handing out c-sections. It happens when babies don't have the pressure of contractions to help thier lungs get rid of the fluid in them before birth. STudies show it can lead to asthma later on but doctors are always reluctant to diagnose asthma until age one to three depending on severity. They call it reactive airways disease before they make the diagnosis. My son is still suffering from this due to my not so great decision to have a planned c-section(not saying that about you, just myself). He's 5 now.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:38 AM on Nov. 29, 2008