I was just wondering why my son is so motivated to write his name, write numbers and draw at home, but when he gets home from his preschool program, I would notice that he did not do any of his work. Does this show lack of motivation from the teachers?

filmom2ethan

Asked by filmom2ethan at 1:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It could be that he is distracted by the others around him or his choices of things to do. What are the child-teacher ratio numbers like? If he knows his stuff, obviously he is learning, maybe they dont want to force him into finishing a worksheet. That could just be part of the "center" for the day, and he can work on it at home. As always, any time you have a concern, you should just ask his teacher. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Play-based learning is best for young children so I wonder what you mean by work. Like worksheets? They don't really help children develop any skills since writting is developmental, just like walking or talking. Certainly your child should have opportunities to write but doing a few worksheets everyday isn't really evidence that developmental progress is being made.

Have you spoken to his teacher about your concern? If you haven't you really should. Just tell her that your concerned about his development and ask what evidence she see that your child is learning in the program.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:18 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Mine was the same way...She would throw a fit when asked to do activities.

I ended up making a deal with her. For everyday that she did schoolwork, she would get a sticker on a chart at home. For every 30 stickers that she got, she was allowed to pick out a toy (under $20) when we went shopping.

Now, she rarely askes for the sticker or toy but braggs that she did work at pre-k. I started it only 2 months ago.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• My son drops 10 IQ points at least when he goes to school. I have been told that kids are more apt to learn in a place and with people he feels comfortable with and relaxed in. Perhaps its just too stimulating there, he takes it in and explores it when he gets home.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• at least he is interested and knows how to or wants to - my son who is 3-1/2 has ZERO interest in writing, learning and even coloring he won't do
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:58 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• This is a mini preschool program that they have at the community center and they have about 15 kids with 2 teachers. They do a craft once a week and that's done. Yes, distraction could be the culprit I believe. He is an only child and he only gets to interact with kids when he is there. I am just worried that this could be a problem once he starts Kindergarten this fall.

maxsmom, yes we feel lucky that he got interested with learning so early. By the time he was 3-1/2, he knows all his letters and 4months ago he got interested in writing his name. He's got his favorite character and as long as he colors his favorites, he's fine.
    filmom2ethan

Comment by filmom2ethan (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I would not classify this program as play based, because they have advertised that it's designed to get children ready for K. Tried talking to the teachers after a few sessions, and mostly their answers are about his behavior in class.
    filmom2ethan

Comment by filmom2ethan (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I'd guess he's distracted, if the teachers are talking about behavior. The classroom setting is different than the quiet home setting for your son. Have you ever asked your son why his work wasn't done?

Anonymous

• What sort of problems are they saying he is having? It could be that he has ADD or ADHD and just needs a LOT of one-on-one time. Pre-K teachers usually can't give a whole lot of one-on-one time and that may just be what he needs (ADD or not).
    Has he been around other kids before this? I mean, in LARGE amounts? Is he used to taking orders from people he doesn't know? My cousins are particularly stubborn in the area of "you're NOT my mom, therefore I don't have to listen to you!"
    Princesslilian

Answer by Princesslilian at 5:37 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• He attended a play group for a year while a physical therapist played one on one with him at our house. Then after that a non intensive preschool program, and then for the last 6months this program. One thing that's been a consistent comment from his teachers is that he's a "watcher" and he just sort of keep to himself. He does not a problem with authority though. He does what the teachers tell him to do, but his name also has to be called a bunch of times before he pays attention. We had to do the same at home too. I have told his pediatrician about our concerns, but she was not at all worried about him.
    filmom2ethan

Comment by filmom2ethan (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2011