Did you grow up without a father?

Whether you never knew him, he left for good, passed away, or for any other reason, do you think you had a difficult time being in a relationship or had "guy issues"?

careph

Asked by careph at 2:02 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• My father was always around, but he was an alcholic. He always came home drunk. He would throw snacks at my head if I was sitting on the couch watching tv and say keep eating fatass. He always would bring me down, and i honestly do think that caused relationship problems for me because he made me insecure and paranoid!
    xoxkylie92xox

Answer by xoxkylie92xox at 2:05 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I grew up without a father, my mother was great though before she passed and I didn't feel like I lost out on anything.
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Yup & it sucked, you feel a void in your life & feel ripped off.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 2:07 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• My father was incarcerated for the majority of my childhood and early teen years. I bonded with my uncle and he became my father figure. I grieved really hard when he passed away. My dad wants to be in my life now, but he is still battling the same issues that he battled when I was younger. Now that I am an adult I dont really want him around my family.
    soon2bmmy

Answer by soon2bmmy at 2:08 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I still don't know who my biological sperm donor was....but I had a dad....and I felt like my world was going to split apart when he died.....I do want to say that we don't miss what we never had.....just saying.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• My father was never around because he choose to be on drugs instead of be in my life.. I used to blame him for different things in my life but I am now happily married to my best friend and we are expecting our second child in August. My life would probably have been much different with him in it and probably not for the better.. I work hard to make my life what I deserve what my family deserves. I was better off without him.
    crgarcia294

Answer by crgarcia294 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• yeah
    I never had issues with guys though. I made a conscious decision not to be with a man that acted like he did.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I grew up with my dad in my house. But him and my step mom locked me in a room till I was 12.. does that count.. I never actually had a father figure.
    Mrs.Vidrio

Answer by Mrs.Vidrio at 2:13 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I never met my biodad. I didnt have a "dad" until I was 17 and my mom remarried. I am 39 now so it seems like a long time ago since he has been around so long now. I think when I was young I just wanted to prove something to myself and my mom about being able to be in a relationship and making it work (even IF it was an unhealthy relationship), bc she didnt. I wasnt going to "do that to MY kids", theyd always have a "dad". Well it just turned out very badly. I have had two failed marriages. The 2nd I tried to prove to my parents I could pick a guy they liked (it ended worse then the first).
    Now years later I am remarried again, been for awhile, have my kids, and met someone I married bc I truly loved myself enough to love someone else. I didnt have anything to prove to myself or anyone else. If my dad had been around who knows? Maybe it would have been diff.

Answer by gemgem at 2:15 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• My dad died when I was 7, but my mom remarried when I was 9 to the most incredible man on the planet. He treated me just like he treated his sons, same rules, same consequences. I don't have any guy issues.

Answer by missanc at 3:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2011