How is it a bigger person can lose a lot of weight while somone who can just losse a few struggles?

i'm not bashing so no hate but for example on the TV show "heavy" there's some 400 pound pple out there and while on a diet, if they succeed, they can lose up to 8 or so pounds in a WEEK? its just baffles me while i can just lose a few, i'm trying my damnest to jog it off with a proper diet just like them? i only lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks.

Does anyone see it the same way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• From what I understand about it, it's because they have so much weight to lose. Every exercise, say a 350lb person does, would burn more calories than it would for a person who weighed 170lb. The extra weight makes everything more difficult and more effective at burning calories. Once they reach a lower weight (near a healthy weight for them), their weight loss will slow down and become more difficult, just like someone who only has to lose a few. Plus, someone who thinks that they need to lose a few pounds but hasn't been able to might be at the ideal weight for their body and they may not be able to lose more in a healthy way, or they might not be doing things that are challenging their body enough for continued weight loss. If you're near a healthy weight and just want to get in better shape, those 5lb in two weeks is impressive! You should be proud! Keep up the work and you'll see results, it just takes time :) Congrats!
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:05 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• They are carrying a lot more weight than you, that's why.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 2:18 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Which means they work harder....
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 2:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Five pounds is a lot in 2 weeks. I think your expectations are too high. Obese people lose more faster because they have more to lose. They also hit plateaus that are challenging as well.

Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I know, it's bullshit, right? They carry more weight so they can lose it quicker...
    I remember I was on a treadmill next to a bigger women and I was walking briskly, she was walking casually, we both started pretty much at the same time and her treadmill said she burned 4x the amount I did! Ugh!
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 3:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Everyone's metabolism is different. Some people loose weight without even trying, some can not loose it at all. When trying to loose weight the trick is to eat less calories than your body needs in any given day so your body HAS to burn fat stores for energy. It's frustrating when you try and do everything right and still only loose a little. keep at it. You will reach your goals.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Plus a lot of very over wieght people are retaining a lot of water, when they start dieting they shed a lot of that weight in water.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:22 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• They carry more weight, so to work out they burn more calories than a smaller person even if they are doing less than that smaller person. Also a smaller persons body might store fat because there is not an abundance of fat in their body, whereas a bigger person, their body is ready to get rid of the fat. Diet has a lot to do with it too, because a lot of time (myself included), if a person is bigger, they don't have as healthy a lifestyle as someone who is smaller. I used to eat healthy compared to a lot of my friends (not a lot of fried foods, ground turkey instead of ground beef, loads of fresh veggies) but when I got put on a low sodium, low fat, no dairy diet, I lost 11lbs in 1 week. Because I NEEDED to, not because i wanted to.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• There is also a drastic change in calorie intake. Some of the people on Heavy go from a 10,000 calorie a day diet to a 1400 Calorie a day diet plus exercise. The extra fat is no longer even close to being supported. Someone who only has 10 to 15 pounds to lose is probably going fromn 2000 to 1500 cals a day. It will take a lot longer, as you are still close to your calorie intake.

I know, it is frustrating.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• BTW;; weight training will help you burn fat quicker than jogging all the time. If your heartrate is too high, you aren't burning fat. You don't bulk up with weight training you lose inches.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2011