Relocated to San Diego, where can we even afford to live?!

San Diego is SO expensive, my hubby is based at Point Loma, so we need to live semi close to there. It's so hard to find a place through the internet, like... craigslist. He's deployed right now so he's no help, we have to move sometime in June/July. Where should I be looking? We need at least 3 bedrooms, we have two dogs, and I'm PRAYING to keep our rent at $1500 or less :( ANY help would be amazing

LuckyTat

Asked by LuckyTat at 2:18 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Home & Garden

• OMG... we are in San Diego and LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it. There is SO much to do!!!!!! If he is military I would suggest starting there... Im sure they have people who can help you find housing.

Otherwise the trick is to move inland... bummer I know... but it is cheaper the further in you go.
    Anonymous

• I agree. My dad was stationed at Camp Pendleton for 2 tours and housing was expensive and that was back in the 90s. I cant imagine now. I lived in Rancho Penasquitos myself and I got a decent deal on some apartments, but that was years ago. Call the base and see what they can recommend.

Answer by gemgem at 3:16 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• My husband is from san diego. We just got back from there. It's going to be expensive and you will have to cut back on a lot of things but there are so many out door things to do that you don't really need a large home. Usually a one bedroom apartment is good for a small family. If you have a larger family and you are using the internet as a source to find a good home to rent, look for the homes that do not have bars on the windows. It sounds funny but that's how you will know it's a good neighborhood. Oh and know that san diego county is the second biggest county in california so map out where the house is exactly in san diego or you might end up 90 miles away.
    BBHirsch

Answer by BBHirsch at 3:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Seems like your military liaison could help with relocation?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:14 PM on Apr. 1, 2011