6 year old bed wetter

My son pees the bed almost every night. Im also 28 weeks preg. Do you think after the babys born he will stop or is this something more serious? Is there any suggestions?

hplesha

Asked by hplesha at 2:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• is this new or something he's done always?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• could be he is having issues at school, drinking too much before bed, depending if it started recently or he has always done this. u could try using a pull up on him at bed time
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 2:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Hes been fully potty trained since he was 3. Hes had his accidents but now its almost all the time. Im having the pull ups be a last resort but its going to happen sooner than later if i cant resolve it any other way. We have tried talking to him but it doesnt seem to help
    hplesha

Comment by hplesha (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Some kids just take longer. It has nothing to do with your pregnancy, does it? Did it start when you got pregnant? If not, just put him in GoodNights to sleep.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Take him to the doctor and have him tested for a UTI or bladder infection, or ask about his kidneys. If everything looks fine, put him in the overnight pants for older kids.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon bedwetting at night in boys can be a sign of a kidney infection, or a UTI/bladder infection. And it's possible to have any of these with no other symptoms or pain. So start there, a simple trip to the pediatrician will wean out those concerns. If it's all normal, look at his dairy intake. My brother couldn't have any dairy within 3 hours of bedtime, or he'd pee the bed. I'm not sure why, but I've heard this situation occur in more boys then just my brother. If dairy doesn't seem to be the issue then it's very possible it's just a stage he'll outgrow. It's considered "normal" to wet the bed in boys until 12 years of age. Buy the goodnights, and make sure he knows he doesn't have to be ashamed, and that there's nothing wrong with him.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:58 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• This is more common than people know, especially with boys. Their bladders just take longer to reach maturity. My brother wet the bed until he was 12.....
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 11:38 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• talk to his doctor; but it is normal for some boys to take longer as to staying dry all night. try waking him up in the middle of the night and walking him to the bathroom that is what we did and it helped our son tremendously for he was such a deep sleeper he wouldn't know that he had to go to the bathroom before it was too late
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 5, 2011

• This is a switch in his brain that has to click by itself. This is a very normal thing for some children. I swore I was going to send my DD to 1st grade in a pullup at night. She had been dry in the day since age 2. My son who is currently 5 still wears a GoodNight to bed, but has just now started to get up in the night to go, or wakes up dry...not always but some is a start. Just be patient...she will get there. Btw, my DD is now 17 and totally normal, no worries.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2011