COUNTRY OR CITY

Where do you mom's live now in the country or city?

Have you ever lived in both areas and what do you like better not just for your self but to raise kids? I live in Calf. and grew up in the city LA. and when i was about 9yr. my mom and i moved out to the country and stayed. I like the country better my self and for my kids keeps them out of trouble from the city. My sister in law lives in Orange county and my oldest boy went to her house to spend last summer break with his cousin and hes was telling me all the bad things that they could get into and some of the things they did being in the city. I dont think my sister in law really watches her kids like she should if they were so free. I remember when i was younger and lived in the city my mom didnt let me go any where not even with a group of friends and that was about 25yr. ago and things change, even in the city. What do you think?

butterflies78

Asked by butterflies78 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• I live in a fairly urban suburb.

I don't think any environment is better than another for raising children. Each have challenges and benefits and each produce happy families and successful adults.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I grew up in the country and have lived in a city for the last 14 years. I didn't like the country because everyone knew my business, there wasn't a variety of kids to make friends with (I was an outcast and lonely) and there was nothing to do. I agree the city can be dangerous, but if you parent properly, you can teach your kids how to avoid danger. Also, there is much more to do in a city, much more culture and diversity, and more people to meet.
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 2:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I've lived in a small town for about 3 yrs, in a neighborhood and I loved it, I had great neighbors. Although I grew up in the country and lived there for 33 yrs. I prefer the country, it's quiet, and you don't have to worry about the neighbors. I hate a messy yard so having a nice yard next to a messy one would drive me insane,lol... We live in the country now, and don't plan to change that anytime soon.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:37 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I grew up in the country it was mostly all farms in Massachusetts. It was a very small community where everyone knew everyone. When I got older and had kids I moved to a semi small city and absolutely hated it! I now live in Maine in a very small community, everyone knows everyone. I am surrounded by the woods and swamps..20 mins from the beach, I LOVE it here!
    dolphingoddess

Answer by dolphingoddess at 2:48 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• We live in town, but in a very rural area - our town is 600 and we live on the edge. We enjoy the rural lifestyle, and can't wait to get out into the country, on an acreage or small farm. The kids hate living in town, and I do too - which people I grew up with are surprised by, I liked living in town then and said I'd never live in the country, and now I can't wait to!
    Anonymous