Does anyone know anything about "K12" (the online public education program)?

Had a child struggling in school and looking at all my options.

SCMomKatie

Asked by SCMomKatie at 2:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• What are you wanting to know? I would google it to find out what schools in your state offer it. There should be a phone number you can call for info too. Because there are certified teachers acting as learning coaches, there are physical schools to which the program is linked. It's a set curriculum put out by K12, and your child will have textbooks and other support materials. It's essentially a highly-structured homeschooling program. Your child will need to take any state required standardized assessments and I believe there's a directory of others in your area so you can network and socialize.
    wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 2:39 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• It varies from state to state on what levels are offered. In our state they will not longer take students in grade 12 so even if your child goes through several years of it they can't graduate with the program (genius, I know). Also, the majority of your child's information, instruction and work are online so you are looking at hours upon hours in front of the computer every day. We looked into it and decided it was not for our kids. We have a more eclectic approach to homeschooling, actually we have a pretty eclectic approach to life. LOL

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:03 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I don't know but the way our public eduacation system is, that might be alot of our only option to keep our kids safe.

Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 2, 2011