Birthing Plan

Do you think they are needed??

annabelle092810

Asked by annabelle092810 at 2:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• absolutely. you want to birth your own way, not their way
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• well . some say they are needed but u dont always get you use it .i didnt use one last time and i wont this time i think its best to just talk to your doc. about what u like and how u want stuff done .
    damionsmommy2

Answer by damionsmommy2 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• not everything goes as planned
    damionsmommy2

Answer by damionsmommy2 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Depends on the type of person you are. If you want complete control then yes, you should make one. For me I'll be having my 2nd c-section so I don't really need one.

I think if you have a really good dr./midwife and you explain to them your wishes then you don't really need a written birth plan.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Talk to your doctor/midwife and make sure you are on the same page with issues that are important to you. That said, my midwife refused to look at my birth plan (we did talk about it though), and the hospital laughed at me. The hospital was a much bigger problem than my own care providers, which I had not thought of. After my midwife assured me light foods and clear liquids were fine during labor, the nurses at the hospital refused to let me have even a sip of water. I had no complications and no pain medication.

I am expecting my second, and I looked around for a more natural birth friendly provider and hospital, but there are none closer than an hour+ drive away (impossible with a 2 year old).
    kimberlyann_214

Answer by kimberlyann_214 at 3:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• YES!

I absolutely RECOMMEND one.

WIth mine I planned a natural birth, eating and drinking during labor, free movement, limited monitoring, etc. A birthing plan allowed me to communicate with each nurse that came and went what my needs and wants were without me having to explain during contractions why I was snacking and drinking juice despite hospital policy!!!
    Anonymous

• It does NOT MATTER if you have the BEST DOCTOR IN THE WORLD because at the end of the day a nurse who does not know you from Adam with be with you ALL DAY....THAT NURSE needs to know what you want and what you are expecting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

• Absolutely. A birth plan isn't a plan saying, "This is how my birth will go." It is a list of your personal preferences. Making the plan gives you a chance to look at the various options you've got and say which you'd prefer. You get to look at things and research before the heat of the moment. It also gives the nurses a quick place to look and see what your preferences are. It isn't a list of how things will go, it is saying, here are the things that are important to me in this birth. Not all women will have the same preferences and priorities in birth. Your doctor or nurse won't remember those things that are important to you. A birth plan also gives you a chance to go over things with your doctor or midwife before the big day, so if you have a difference of opinion, you can flush that out ahead of time and not while you are in labor.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 6:56 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• not a written one. ive informed DH of my wants and he's in charge of answering nurses questions if im unable to and ive gone over things with my Dr. he knows what i prefer b/c he delivered my 1st and had a surprisingly good memory when we were reviewing...but then im pretty laid back about birth and dont have any specific wants
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I used birthplan.com for mine. I still haven't given it to my OB. I had planned to at my 35 week appointment today but she had to leave for an emergency c-section so I'll give it to her next week.
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 11:37 PM on Apr. 1, 2011