Is it normal for babies to eat little amounts for a long time?

I just had a 6lb baby girl Feb 8th 2011. At first the hospital told me to just give her half an oz for awhile until she wanted more. By the time I got home she was taking about half an oz to an oz every hr or hr and half. Then she worked up to 2 oz by the time she was 3 wks old and taking that every 2 hrs. Now shes up to 3 oz..every 2.5 or 3 hrs depends on when she gets hungry again. Now shes starting to act hungry more before the 3 hrs is up..so Im thinking I should work on giving her 4 oz..but last time I tried giving her more than 3 oz she puked. So what should I do.

deevega

Asked by deevega at 2:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try giving her 4 oz. if she pukes it up, then go back to giving her 3 and talk to her doctor about it.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• More than likely it is totally normal. Babies are weird, they change their eating habits frequently and have teenie tummies. Remember, as a general rule for adults they say your stomach is the size of your fists balled together- see how tiny her fists are? =) I know it must be exhausting for you, but she'll be bigger and eating before you know it!
    However, are you nursing or formula feeding? If you are formula feeding, you may want to look at the formula and see if there is a different, more filling brand you can give her. She may not be getting enough nutrition- but chances are she's just a growing baby!
    MsKylaSkyy

Answer by MsKylaSkyy at 2:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Totally normal. Her stomach is really tiny. Look at her little fist...that's about the same size as her stomach so it doesn't fit very much. I wouldn't force her to eat any more than she's eating on her own if she's growing just fine.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I am bottle feeding her. Ok thanks for the advice.
    deevega

Comment by deevega (original poster) at 3:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Keep her at the 3 oz and feed her a little more frequently, when she's showing hunger cues. Don't try to force a larger amount in her. She's taking in a normal amount. Some babies never take 8 oz in a single feeding, some will take it at 4 months, some at 6, some at 8, etc. Don't push her to take more, just feed her a little more often.
    Anonymous

• Completely normal. When they're first born, their stomachs are the size of a marble or something...with a few weeks it's about the size of a golf ball, and goes up from there. My DD started eating bigger bottles less often at around 2-3 months. now she's 6 months, and eats about 2-4 bottles a day, depending on if she has any solids or not.
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 4:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• is it puke puke or spit up? If it's just a little spit up, it happens, and most of that's due to gas build up more than the amount of formula. If it's puke puke then yes it may be too much. For puke puke, then I would just start the 3 ounces a little earlier and see where it leads for now. If it's just spit up, remember to burp half way through the bottle AND after she finishes.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• stick with 3oz ....she might be cying for a bottle but actually just want something to suck. Have u tried a paci?
    Lenore0708

Answer by Lenore0708 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• yes i give her the paci...ok ill keep her at 3 oz.thats what im doin and yes its puke cus ahe brings up her whole bottle she ate.
    deevega

Comment by deevega (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2011