Moms who bf, did this hapen to you?

My daughter is just about 5 months and she has been bf since day one, everything was fine, but yesterday she started biting my nipples, she doesnt have teeth yet but it still hurts, and she pulls them while shes biting them and it really hurts shes too young to understand its wrong and that it hurts so what do i do??

EliannasMama

Asked by EliannasMama at 2:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would just take the breast away for a minute and then let her latch again. She's just playing, but it does really hurt! After a few days of playing my nipples became more tough and it didn't both me as much.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 2:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Mine started to do that towards the end of their nursing time. Just end the session or take a break. She will get it eventually and stop doing it. You just really have to watch for ques that she is done and beat her to it. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 2:56 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• She could be trying to pull more milk down. My girls would do that, doc told me that it was normal and that was just their way of pulling down more milk.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 2:59 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Yea I noticed she does do it more towards the end! Thanks!!
    EliannasMama

Comment by EliannasMama (original poster) at 3:00 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• My DD is only 2 1/2 months and she does something simliar ( no teeth of course) she looks like she's chewing gum lol and then yanks her head back, I was told she's trying to get another let-down. But yes it is uncomfortable, until your nipples get used to it like the other momma said.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 4:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• are you part of the bf moms group? look it up they have a great sticky about nursing manners
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:04 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• if it's toward the end, she's probably just enjoying something to suck on rather than actually being hungry.. if they move their mouths certain ways they can stop the milk flow so it's more like a paci than a boob to them. lol (this is what my dd does).. YES it hurts, lol. so I just take it away for a second or two, and if she is hungry she pulls her head forward, if she just wants to chew, she'll normally just put her hand in her mouth instead.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:37 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• if she is done take the breast away. She is using you as a paci. If its during a feeding take breast away then give back so she will re-latch
    Lenore0708

Answer by Lenore0708 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• say nooooo! in a really stearn voice every time she does it, it should startle her. she will eventually learn not to bite mommy. hope it gets better soon, i know from experience :(
    mika0101

Answer by mika0101 at 8:58 PM on Apr. 9, 2011