How seriously do you take the weight chart?

I know I'm considered underweight, but I have no negative body image, am not actively trying to lose weight, I just don't feel comfortable at the weight they say I should be for my height. I don't want to be any thinner, but according to them I should gain. blech

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Health

• Not at all. We all know what is a good weight for us.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:02 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I ignore it completely!

Answer by older at 3:00 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I don't go by the weight chart all the way. I am 5'' 4' with a medium bulid. It says I should weigh between 120-135. I have been 135 before and to me It was a little too thin. Just go by what makes you comfortable.
    Anonymous

• i'm not comfortable at the average weight for my height either. it's between 115 and 120 and i'm much happier under 110. i don't look like a skelator, just look nice and slim and i'm happy that way. i'm naturally thin. i've always been this size and i'm gad i went back to it after having my daughter 8 months ago
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• The first one I pulled up said 5'4" small frame 114-127... I agree 100%

Just pulled up Weight Watchers said for 5'4" 117-146... the 146 is VERY high. I find that off... but then it didnt account for small, med, lagar build... but how big a build could you have at only 5'4"

Another one said 108-132.... I agree... though at 108 I was VERY thin... but still looked good.

A BMI calculator put me at the high side of normal... I agree... though I DO need to loose about 5 lbs.

So I guess you need to tell us which chart you are refering to.
    Anonymous

• didn't know there were so many charts! i just remember getting one at the dr's office that said i should be at least 135 and when i was that weight i was beyond uncomfortable. i'm happiest around 115.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Not at all. I don't own a scale and haven't for years. I used to obsess about weight. I just eat healthy and don't worry about comparing myself with the charts. If you throw out your scale and focus on your health, in my opinion, it is a good thing. People have different body shapes, bone structure etc. If you however fixate on being thin, it is a very destructive pattern. I used to have an eating disorder and know 1st hand how this can take over lives. I have however seen so many overweight people and I truly feel it is a much better thing to be a little underweight than overweight. 

LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 3:16 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I ignore it. I am happy and healthy and "under weight".
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 3:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I think it depends a lot on body type
    bcraine

Answer by bcraine at 4:08 PM on Apr. 1, 2011