Should I have my autistic 1st grader repeat a grade?

My son is in 1st grade and is "inconsistent" when meeting the grade level tasks. He is pulled out to work with a reading specialist and is making progress. He is a wiz at math, but due to distractions in the class room his teacher feels he is too inconsistent to be at grade level. She assures me he should move to 2nd grade but I am confused. Looking at his report card he is not at grade level. I am trying to figure out if this is just the way it goes with autistic kids or should I push him to repeat????

Not sure if this question makes sense, but if anyone has incite for or against, your thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Missyring

Asked by Missyring at 3:08 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I agree with the 2nd poster. His IEP states he's allowed to stay with his regular ed peers, regardless of his grades. It's a right of all children on an IEP so they're not constantly failing every single grade, since with some children's disabilities this would be the case. Send him on to 2nd grade, his IEP will allow him reading assistance as well as help in any other standard he's behind in. I've worked with children before in the 6th grade who were performing on a kindergarten level in reading due to a disability. My mom works with high schoolers who function on a 3 year old level academically. The teacher is correct in stating he should move on to 2nd grade, even though he's performing below grade level according to the state. He's doing his personal best, and that's all anyone can ask for regardless if it's 1st grade or 12th grade.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• His IEP should allow him to move on with his peers and get the reading help he needs in 2nd grade. I wouldn't hold him back

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I guess i have the same questions as you. If the teacher thinks he's ready to move ahead why do her grades of his work indicate otherwise? If the tasks she provides in the classroom aren't her measure of progress, what is?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:13 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Well, my daughter isn't autistic, but she was retained in second grade because of her reading comprehension. At the time, I was really upset by this, but once she got through the second grade, her grades improved significantly. She became an A and A-B honor roll student. She is struggling some in high school, but she is taking the harder Pre-AP classes. I suppose in her case, the reinforcement of repeating helped build a more solid foundation. I hope this helps in some way and wish you the best in dealing with this difficult decision. :)
    AFairyTaleGirl

Answer by AFairyTaleGirl at 3:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• My DS is in first and though his reading and writing are not up to speed he will continue on the 2nd grade because he is academically ready. He can give all the answers verbal he just can't get it on paper. Next year he will be in a special autism program at a new school because he was not progressing well in a regular ed class room. He will still be in a regular ed class but with an aid between himself and 2 other ASD students plus the aid will be ther to assist him with Social activities and keeping him on task. I am so excited! I would talk to the school at his next IEP meeting and find out what else is available for you and you DS. Holding him back is not the answer if he doesn't have the ability to progress in a regular class with few accommodation.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• They did the same thing to my son in kindergarten. They insisted he should move forward despite his terrible report cards all year. We moved to a virtual academy where he could learn at his pace without class distractions and he is catching up on the things he was below grade level in. If you aren't comfortable, I would ask to talk with the first grade dept head and the principle to discuss holding him back
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 11:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2011