Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dogs & Fudge???

Has anyone ever had their dog eat fudge? My pomeranian (about 6 or 7lbs) took a chunk of fudge off the coffee table. I got most of it out of his throat before he swallowed it. I looked it all up online and the sites I found all said to give him 1-2tps of 3% hydrogen peroxide 15 minutes apart until he pukes and then charcoal to soak up the poison. So far 2 doses of the peroxide solution and nothing has happened. Any suggestions? I'm freaking out, he's my baby!

Answer Question
 
feesharose

Asked by feesharose at 11:53 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Pets

Level 4 (38 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • I know they say chocolate is bad for them, but I have never had a problem with a dog eating chocolate before. I wouldn't worry about it. I had a 4lb pom that ate anything he could steal from the kids, including chocolate.
    pupmom

    Answer by pupmom at 11:54 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

  • Thank you, I'm just a little worried because I'm not entirely sure how much he did ingest.
    feesharose

    Answer by feesharose at 11:55 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

  • yeah I think that whole "dogs die from chocolate" thing has been blown out of proportion. M dog has def gotten her paws into it before and she is tiny and still alive and well. Maybe call an emergency vet in your area and just ask them.
    MammaMia72

    Answer by MammaMia72 at 12:25 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

  • Chocolate really IS poisonous to dogs but they'd have to eat quite a substantial amount. How big was the piece of fudge and what kind of chocolate was it made with?
    aurorabunny

    Answer by aurorabunny at 12:27 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

  • I had this happen with my basset hound - she is a chocolate freak!! I also gave her they hydrogen peroxide and she did not vomit. She didn't want to do much running around afterward though either...watch puppy for diahrea though. Mine had the trots for a few hours. She should be ok. I have to be oh, so careful about chocolate around mine - she will find it no matter where I put it. Just keep an eye on her. GL

    Babylove76

    Answer by Babylove76 at 12:39 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

  • The chunk was probably an inch and a half square. He had it in his mouth for maybe a minute, but when I found him I grabbed a significant chunk of it from his mouth. And I'm pretty sure it was made with cocoa powder.
    feesharose

    Answer by feesharose at 12:51 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

  • I had to send you a PM because my answer was to long!

    To anyone reading this thread. Chocolate is VERY dangerous for dogs! poisoning generally show within four to twenty four hours of your dog having eaten the chocolate.early symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, increased urination and restlessness .As time goes on, and your dog absorbs more theobromine into his system, symptoms such as lack of co-ordination, muscle twitching, hyperactivity, increased heart rate and raised blood pressure will be evident .
    These can lead on to seizures, coma, heart arrhythmia, hyperthermia, and ultimately death
    SherriX2

    Answer by SherriX2 at 7:48 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

  • milk chocolate wont hurt them but they say the dark chocolate will and if u got most of it than u should b ok
    Mommy2Be1212009

    Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 8:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

  • I had a min pin steal and eat a friggin 1 pound chocolate bar from me one time. Dark chocolate too. I think all of my dogs have stolen my chocolate or my coffee at one time or another.
    ColleenF30

    Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.