How do you make your chicken soup? Canned chickenn broth, or do you make your own broth? or a combination of both

filmom2ethan

Asked by filmom2ethan at 3:13 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I get the split chicken breasts on sale and throw them in a huge pot, add onion, celery and carrots, fill about 1/2 way with reduced sodium/fat free broth and the rest with water. The ratio is always different depending on how much broth I have. I also add some peppercorns... let that go for a while...and I still end up adding some chicken base or boullion. Strain it all out, pick the chicken off the bone, add it back to the pot with fresh diced onion, celery and carrots...let that go until veggies are soft, then add some noodles.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 6:43 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I usually just boil a whole chicken and use the stock from that and add seasonings
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:14 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• It totally depends how industrious I feel. If I have time I'll start from scratch, but If I need a quick nice soup I'll use broth. I try to buy whole chickens when on sale and try to always have fresh frozen chix broth in my freezer. Either way it turns out great by the time you spruce it up.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Chicken base is on of my go to essential ingredients. I have every type of base they make. It is essential in soup preparations. :-) Boil a whole chicken for about 1 1/2 hour. i like to add a couple of carrots for sweetness before boiling. Break apart to cool down. Taste broth and add about a T at a time of base.( It doesn't add salt like boullion or broth) We also love to add a little spice, a little crushed red pepper or hot sauce to broth and maybe a touch of garlic and or onion powder, a little pepper, alot of time a little worcester, what ever you wish . Add fresh carrots, and whatever vegies you want. If you wish, when you have the veggies in, chicken deboned and back in broth bring to full boil and make bisquick dumplings. We have found better luck to cover and uncover opposite of what their directions say. Chicken noodle soup, I use carrots, celery and boil the noodles seperately adding at the end.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 3:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I usually use homemade stock, but if it's not enough I add low-sodium broth or boullion.
    Anonymous

• I use can chicken broth water and soup base. Like a boullion but it looks like powder. I add my seasonings to it and let it boil for a few mins before adding anything else to it. Also make the noodles separate so it doesnt soak up all the soup
    hplesha

Answer by hplesha at 3:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• You can also use chicken breasts for convenience- I like to grill them on grill or Foreman to give them more flavor and cut and pull them apart, then add to soup. Just add enough base to flavor. I always save any left over gravies, or broths and add to soups as well, when I have it. I swear the base is the key. I make soup with hamburger, beef base, vegies, crushed red pepper and a touch of barley. it is awesome.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 3:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• i dice up a whole onion and mice garlic and i add olive oil in a pan and fry the garlic and onion then ill add cut up pieces of chicken breast add water 2 bouillon cubes oregano and pepper, herb seasonings and let it cook about 30 mins, then add cut up potatoes and carrots , sometimes celery( all cut small) and enough water to cover the chicken and veggies then ill let that cook about 10 min before adding elbow noodles , after about 15 minutes its done and ready to eat ,
    PrettyBaby24

Answer by PrettyBaby24 at 3:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Husband says it's not as tasty when I make my own broth, so I tend to add bouillon to my concoction, but I'm concerned about it's sodium content. What brand is this low sodium broth?
    filmom2ethan

Comment by filmom2ethan (original poster) at 3:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• i always make my ownchicken, veal, veg and beef stock/broth....
    malkaTZ

Answer by malkaTZ at 4:01 PM on Apr. 1, 2011